Sign in to follow this  
RustyItalian

Polishing E39 angel eye lenses.

When I got my E39 it came with one brand spanking shiny headlight (date code 2009) and one crusty looking one (dated 2003 from memory). It appears that my 1999 E39 has had the later Hella angel eye headlight retrofitted using BMW BMW adaptor looms.

Anyway the crusty looking one has been getting worse so I tried some plastic polish which had some effect. It appeared to be a coating of clear overspray on the lense, this would make sense as the car has had minor front panel damage repaired (hence the new light).

I used some special plastic paint remover on it (made for model aeroplanes. This seems to be stripping something off the lens slowly.

Anyone know if these lenses have a special coating on them? I think my only option now it to have it wetsanded and polished on a buffing wheel.

Any recommendations for someone to do this? I may just buy an adaptor at bunnings about $100 all up though.

I dread to imagine the cost of a new light...

Cheers

I dread to imagine the cost of a new light...

Cheers

New lights are extortion.

I think my only option now it to have it wetsanded and polished on a buffing wheel.

This is what I would've done before stripping anything, have you got any pics? Would be easier to see what kind of damage you're talking about.

Headlight solutions

You could buy their kit, but I did my own, took headlight out of car, took lens off the front and polished by hand with finest and finer wet & dry, than finished with polycarb polish.

Came up great, just use LOTS of water and get as fine a grade as you can.

Best of luck.

Edited by camera doctor

Hi Guys,

I am suffering with a bit of the same problem.

I've tried polishing the lenses with gif and Pacer's headlight cleaner, but neither have worked.

I had a closer look at the lens and it it appears as if there is some sort of film that has been applied at some stage.

The wagon is ex-Japan so not too sure about what it might be.

Is it possible to buy replacement lenses or is the entire headlight assembly one unit?