Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

e30 clutch slave cylinder photos

Hey everyone,

Iam having some trouble with the slave cylinder, took it off the gearbox and the rod on the end of it suddenly expanded right out and cant seem to get it back in its housing? any suggestions. I also got some photos of the clutch in here as well just to conform that its allgood. Camera was on charge so had to take photos of laptop webcam :P Cheers

post-6508-1299643297.jpg

post-6508-1299643309.jpg

post-6508-1299643329.jpg

Edited by Mitch Wakefield

Clutch plate looks fine, slave cylinder just needs the rod pushed back in, it will go, just push it firmly, make sure you don't squirt the fluid all over yourself.

Can't tell from those photos wether the clutch plate has oil contamination though.

Clutch plate looks fine, slave cylinder just needs the rod pushed back in, it will go, just push it firmly, make sure you don't squirt the fluid all over yourself.

Sweet, is it allgood to apply sh*t loads of force to get the slave cylinder back to place? Doesnt want to budge at all

New slave cylinders are cheap, if its being a bitch its likely got something funky going on, easier to just replace it with a new one.

Open bleed screw to push t back in?

Open bleed screw to push t back in?

Already tried the bleed screw from what i can see there seems to be a ring around the piston that is stopping me from forcing it back in.

Already tried the bleed screw from what i can see there seems to be a ring around the piston that is stopping me from forcing it back in.

The circlip retains the piston.

I can't remember offhand the set up of the end of the push rod that goes into the cylinder. Sometimes they are not fastened but simply sit in place, others will have a flange of sorts which sits behind the circlip. If this is the case - remove the circlip, insert the push rod then refit the circlip.

As above - the clutch plate lining looks good but can't be sure that it's not got oil contamination or is burnt from the pic. Maybe clean it with Brakleen

The circlip retains the piston.

I can't remember offhand the set up of the end of the push rod that goes into the cylinder. Sometimes they are not fastened but simply sit in place, others will have a flange of sorts which sits behind the circlip. If this is the case - remove the circlip, insert the push rod then refit the circlip.

As above - the clutch plate lining looks good but can't be sure that it's not got oil contamination or is burnt from the pic. Maybe clean it with Brakleen

Sweet, will give that circlip thing a go. Also how can you tell a clutch that has suffered from oil contamination and a burnt clutch? Are there any imperfections i should look for?

Clutch looks rather "black" in the pic. Maybe just the light the pic was taken in?

Edit - does it smell burnt? or oily for that matter?

Edited by hotwire

Clutch looks alot lighter in real life, I gave it a good degrease and it smelt normal.

Run with it then. Plenty of life left in the lining of that one.

Run with it then. Plenty of life left in the lining of that one.

Sweet, will do :P

Just swapped my slave cylinder in the E30, picked up replacement one from Sims Brakes in Dunedin for around $60 + gst,

Had to pull the rod from the old one and install into new one, pushed it firmly in, just sits in place didn't clip into place but with the bleed valve open you should be able to pump the slave cylinder and get fluid out, and with it closed you should still be able to pump it, just with a bit more pressure.