Sign in to follow this  
htra024

touching guards front

hi,

Got set of E46 Coupe 18" I think ET40 tires 235/40/18 however when i get into the hill or down hill with break, I can hear touching guards from the front. Not sure if it happen from the rear as I cant hear anything.

Is the tires size too big? 224/40/18 should fix the issue?

Thanks

yes tyre size is to big for a e46 .

225/40-18

or maybe a 235/35-18 will work??

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Seda...s/summer_tyres/

how low is the car?? or is some of the plastic gaurd linners broken and falling down etc

yes tyre size is to big for a e46 .

225/40-18

or maybe a 235/35-18 will work??

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Seda...s/summer_tyres/

how low is the car?? or is some of the plastic gaurd linners broken and falling down etc

The car is reasonable high (approx 35 or 40mm) 328CI and it wasnt lowered. I had no problems with my original 225 50 16.

I just wonder if possible to run 225 40 18 front and 235 40 18 rear?

Ta

Power bar guard roll :)

But really, are you getting any rubbing when turning sharply? If the car isn't lowered at all, then it could be a fallen piece of plastic from the inner wheel well, I can imagine that 10mm would effect an factory height car that much.

Power bar guard roll :)

But really, are you getting any rubbing when turning sharply? If the car isn't lowered at all, then it could be a fallen piece of plastic from the inner wheel well, I can imagine that 10mm would effect an factory height car that much.

Turning sharply that I havent try but I can hear rubbing when go down or just getting into uphill where pushing the front down.

There is a dent in the front guard where cause problem however, I do not think because of the dent that really cause the issue because I did not have this rubbing with 16".

Do you all think change 225 40 18 would fix? Should I change all 4 x 225 40 18 or just the 2 front ones.

Ta

Without actually viewing the car it is pretty hard to diagnose what the problem is. Are there any marks on the tyre that indicate it is rubbing on the guard? If there are no scuff marks then the tyre isn't rubbing and the noise will be something else. :)

Edited by zenetti

Without actually viewing the car it is pretty hard to diagnose what the problem is. Are there any marks on the tyre that indicate it is rubbing on the guard? If there are no scuff marks then the tyre isn't rubbing and the noise will be something else. :)

Informative!

There is slight scuff mark, look like the cut in the tyre. Its very fine cut round the tyre.

If 225 40 18 would fix the issue, you interest to swap mine 235 40 18 great condition like new to something secondhand 224 40 18 with I paid extra. I have low budget to spend on!

Thanks

Is it just one side? It could be the dent. Take the wheel off and look for signs of scuffing in the wheel well