Sign in to follow this  
swanman

E39 iphone connection to S602 unit.

Hi everyone. Before I start I have had a very throrough look throught the other posts but I just cant quite get the info I am looking for.

So I have just bought a 2001 530 with S602 computer in it. What a great car by the way. All I need is to hook up my iphone into the sound system. I don't need the phone capability just access to the ipod function on the phone and I will be a happy man.

I have read about the dice units, the parrot system etc but hese solutions are all over the top for what I require. Just a a feed somehow (hardwire 3.5 jack?) into the sound system. Also I want to preferably just take it to a shop and tell them what needs to be done and they just do it for me. Seems simple enough however I am not quite seeing the solution.

Oh and also power/cradle options for the iphone would be appreciated. Is there a good mount that can just plug into the cig lighter? That would seem a simple solution

Can anyone please advise?

Cheers

Not sure what a S602 unit is, but on most E39's you can wire a 3.5 into the AV in on the TV Tuner, but you will get mono sound only.

The other way is to wire into the tape deck wiring, if you have tape teck, but I did that in my 540i and found that i needed to add a line driver, as the tape inputs are low volume.

Currently I have the DICE unit in my 530i and would recomend it, as you get use of the steering wheel controls and display of song playing etc on the dash.

I understand you are going for the "simple" option,......

.... but IMO you will either end up with annoying wiring hanging out all over the interior advertising that you have a ipod to steal to every passing muppet or wiring it to the headunit probably cost similar to a dice unit to setup and the sound will probably suffer for it.

If the is an free AUX input.

Dice unit is plug & play, with just a wiring harness to hide which took all of 10 minutes to do only removing 3 bolts for the rear passenger seat to make sure it was perfect. Really not a hard job either.

Sound is excellent, ipod is safe hidden in glovebox, dont take my eyes off the road when changing tracks since it's all up on the dash and I use the steering wheel controls.

I know what I think is simpler.

what the others said.

being an '01 the stereo probably doesnt have the optional AUX connector on the back of it.

somewhere like rapid radio will charge you $350 or an aux install anyway which is roughly what a dice unit costs.

go dice. model depending it should charge it at the same time.

All good advice. I guess I will go for the dice then. I do need to keep the iphone visible though so I can use the sat nav on it.

So where is the best place to get this done. I know that sounds a littl lazy. Ideally I just want to drop it off somewhere and it just gets done, or is there a mobile installer.

Thanks for the fast replies, appreciate this a lot.

Oh BTW I am in Auckland.

Edited by swanman

a bit of a waste of money to pay to install...the hardest thing would be to mount your iphone in a way you like it.

but any auto sparky would be happy to take your money.

I've lost the contact details of the guy whom sold me mine, I think his name was Richard.

Top bloke, excellent service even came down to check the replacement unit worked after the first one had a fault.

He's Auck based. can't seem to locate his site ATM.

edit:

Ha! loove google desktop. found it.

richard@gadgets4u.co.nz

http://www.gadgets4u.co.nz/

Edited by M5V8

If you can plug in a toaster, you can install a DICE

Seriously, you unplug the CD changer and plug the two connectors in - DONE ! B)

Edited by camera doctor

Yup talk to richard he is awesome very very helpful.

Install is easy as greg said just plug into cd changer connector (note you do loose the changer function when using the dice). no soldering crimping etc required.

in terms of mounting, i got a g2 cradle when i got my dice mediabridge, but i couldnt find any good way of mounting it so just let it sit in tray ... any window mount would be fine.

in terms of mounting, i got a g2 cradle

Where did you get the G2 ?

Richards' site still lists the old version, and I cannot get any of the USA sellers to send one at a reasonable freight cost !

Where did you get the G2 ?

Richards' site still lists the old version, and I cannot get any of the USA sellers to send one at a reasonable freight cost !

Got it from Richard ... im pretty sure its a G2? will confirm when i get home.

I dont actually use it its sitting in its box still.

Got it from Richard ... im pretty sure its a G2? will confirm when i get home.

I dont actually use it its sitting in its box still.

yup box says G2-Cradle DCR-150 ... make me an offer i cant refuse :P

Do you just run the wires for a DICE unit to th glove box for the iPod control? Whats the best way to run this? Under the back seat, under the carpet to the center console and up through there or along the passenger side of the car under pieces of trim and carpet?

Do you just run the wires for a DICE unit to th glove box for the iPod control? Whats the best way to run this? Under the back seat, under the carpet to the center console and up through there or along the passenger side of the car under pieces of trim and carpet?

Yes my dice unit is in the glovebox and I've got USB lead poping out by center console. Harness from boot runs inside boot liner, under seat then along under plastic door sills then up into glovebox from behind.