Sign in to follow this  
yo_clarkie

E53 2001 X5 - NZ New 16:9 + GSM phone

First post, first BMW - its all very exciting! Hello!

So, as an avid hacker of cars/consumer electronics/computers/GPSs its out with the gas axe on poor unsuspecting X5.. (Its a BMW forum so I won't mention what I did to my previous car - a Touareg)

As above I have a 2001 with the non DSP Alpine 16:9 display, the TV tuner and the GSM phone fitted and have been researching my options (the phone was broken but I have that going again already). So far it looks like to get this all up to snuff I would need to add:

Bluetooth ULM + bits US$600+

Mk IV Nav computer + mounts + GPS antenna+ cabling US$550+ for the Nav ? for the rest - dunno?

Alpine KCA-420i + Intravee II (if they do in fact still make them) + 5V ipod cable NZ$400

And at that point I will have state of the art 2005 electronics in the car - wahoo!!!

Or I could bin the lot and fit one of the two aftermarket (China) head units - one sold locally that physically looks a bit sad (small screen), but software looks good, or the other (from ebay) where the hardware looks better, but the software - not very nice.

Any recommendations folks?

(P.S. I picked the car up at 9.00am in WGN, drove it to AKL today and pulled the stereo apart to find that mine is pre Sep 2002 (no suprise since its a 2001) and the AUX isn't an option and the AUX in the rear seats is Mono so no use either - day one down) :D

Edited by yo_clarkie

In regards to the aftermarket units ... Personally I would never replace a factory monitor setup with one of these ... Only if you had the standard business stereo.

Mk4 nav would run you abit more than $500 .... But would still be worth it (q. Hotwire/grant for more info)

Intravee are pretty much the best for iPod intergration but extremely hard to find now and not cheap. A dice unit maybe a more viable option which will provide USB/iPod and AUX in.

Also it's reasonably easy to get AV in on the video module if u want to run a DVD player or a console on the monitor.

In regards to the aftermarket units ... Personally I would never replace a factory monitor setup with one of these ... Only if you had the standard business stereo.

Mk4 nav would run you abit more than $500 .... But would still be worth it (q. Hotwire/grant for more info)

Intravee are pretty much the best for iPod intergration but extremely hard to find now and not cheap. A dice unit maybe a more viable option which will provide USB/iPod and AUX in.

Also it's reasonably easy to get AV in on the video module if u want to run a DVD player or a console on the monitor.

Totally agree. But it all comes down how you can justfy the addtional cost for addting those features into your car. I suggust to go for OEM as well, since you have already got OEM screen. The only problem is the map update later on, as I couldn't confirm if BMW still making any update for older MK navigation system.

If you do want to go down to the aftermarket route:

Or I could bin the lot and fit one of the two aftermarket (China) head units - one sold locally that physically looks a bit sad (small screen), but software looks good, or the other (from ebay) where the hardware looks better, but the software - not very nice.

Then you need to know that for Hualingan product, you may need to do some modification to cut some frame as below:

Posted Image

The reason for Dynavin unit only got 6.5" screen is because it try to avoid the frame cutting.

But personally, if GPS map is not the main concern, I still want to go for the OEM solution.

I have done alot of JAP E60, E90, E70 Navigation upgrade and conversion, although they are very expensive to do, but after the conversion, they all really like it and think it is really worth to spend. The only differnt for you is that map update.

Authough I am a Dynavin distrobutor in NZ, I still have to say that aftermarket solution can never be 100% profect as OEM, but we have to say it is a good cost effective solution for overall features you can get, such as Dynavin or Hualingan.

Again, it all come down to how you are going to justfy the cost and how much you are willing to spend. :)

Any recommendations folks?

remember this: if you remove the factory unit and fit after market, you loose all the control functions provided in the factory system:

You won't be able to set / change the clock

You won' be able to set or reset any trip computer data

you won't be able to control the auxilliary ventillation

you won't be able to set and change the vehicle language, it may default to German

etc etc

So investigate all the items you can control with the 16:9 screen, and ask yourself how you will manage without them

Ditto to Matt - I would never remove an OEM monitor for aftermarket.

To my knowledge BMW are still offering update map discs for these units.

remember this: if you remove the factory unit and fit after market, you loose all the control functions provided in the factory system:

You won't be able to set / change the clock

You won' be able to set or reset any trip computer data

you won't be able to control the auxiliary ventilation

you won't be able to set and change the vehicle language, it may default to German

etc etc

So investigate all the items you can control with the 16:9 screen, and ask yourself how you will manage without them

Bugger, good points - maybe I will add an ipod setup and muse the Mk4 thing a bit

I am thinking I may need to keep the standard head unit based on the feedback to my question - thanks folks! Intravee's are not too hard to find on uk ebay, an option and possibly my first step

Totally agree. But it all comes down how you can justfy the addtional cost for addting those features into your car. I suggust to go for OEM as well, since you have already got OEM screen. The only problem is the map update later on, as I couldn't confirm if BMW still making any update for older MK navigation system.

If you do want to go down to the aftermarket route:

Then you need to know that for Hualingan product, you may need to do some modification to cut some frame as below:

Posted Image

The reason for Dynavin unit only got 6.5" screen is because it try to avoid the frame cutting.

But personally, if GPS map is not the main concern, I still want to go for the OEM solution.

I have done alot of JAP E60, E90, E70 Navigation upgrade and conversion, although they are very expensive to do, but after the conversion, they all really like it and think it is really worth to spend. The only differnt for you is that map update.

Authough I am a Dynavin distrobutor in NZ, I still have to say that aftermarket solution can never be 100% profect as OEM, but we have to say it is a good cost effective solution for overall features you can get, such as Dynavin or Hualingan.

Again, it all come down to how you are going to justfy the cost and how much you are willing to spend. :)

Thanks for the advice, looks like I will stick with the OEM and look to add some bits slowly. I will see if I can chase up an Intervee first and then look at reversing cameras and them the Nav I guess, not too sure about the bluetooth, it seems to be both expensive and a bit touchy to use with an iPhone... Thoughts on the order?

I am thinking I may need to keep the standard head unit based on the feedback to my question - thanks folks! Intravee's are not too hard to find on uk ebay, an option and possibly my first step

would be interested to know what it sets you back ... i found when i was looking that most reasonably priced ones wouldn't ship to NZ.

Ditto to Matt - I would never remove an OEM monitor for aftermarket.

To my knowledge BMW are still offering update map discs for these units.

Good to know, strong views to keep the OEM, so will look into making it a bit more 2011, less 2001 :)

Good to know, strong views to keep the OEM, so will look into making it a bit more 2011, less 2001 :)

Can help you with it all - reverse camera inc

would be interested to know what it sets you back ... i found when i was looking that most reasonably priced ones wouldn't ship to NZ.

I am looking on UK eBay and will get it shipped to a UK address, then posted out here. 188 pounds new, not ideal, but will go there if I don't pick one up in a month, got the Alpine bits today on trademe with a free headunit included that one of the guys in the office can use, so doing my bit for recycling.

Can help you with it all - reverse camera inc

I think you just answered my question on TradeMe ! I was kind of hoping that the tailgate was pre wired, I had to run wiring through a Touareg a couple of years ago and the skin on my hands has only just grown back now. I will get the camera first, so let me know how you want to proceed. Cheers Dave

I think you just answered my question on TradeMe ! I was kind of hoping that the tailgate was pre wired, I had to run wiring through a Touareg a couple of years ago and the skin on my hands has only just grown back now. I will get the camera first, so let me know how you want to proceed. Cheers Dave

Yep, sure did, I can assure you that you shouldn't lose skin in fitting this. More just a pain in the a... to run the wiring thru the conduit & into the car & accessing the VM. I would fit one in a couple of hours now - the first took about 3.

Can go thru TM or PM me here (minus TM fees) - whichever suits.

Cheers Grant

Yep, sure did, I can assure you that you shouldn't lose skin in fitting this. More just a pain in the a... to run the wiring thru the conduit & into the car & accessing the VM. I would fit one in a couple of hours now - the first took about 3.

Can go thru TM or PM me here (minus TM fees) - whichever suits.

Cheers Grant

I will PM you next week - kind of need a pay day first - just bought a BMW!

Hi Guys i have the same setup as well and want to update so keen to know how you got on with units and price thanks. Bought a BMW X5 2001 from the UK but missing the CD Changer. Radio doesnt pickup channels very well and looks like the car had tints on the rear window that had been removed so damaged the antenna on the rear window. (Think thats why please tell me if im wrong.) Dont know much about electronics and how they work but 1st thing i want to do is get the radio working and ipod hooked. Any idea how i do that, Where i do it and at what price? I'm in Auckland. Seen some untis on trademe from a guy who sells a unit that plugs into your radio unit and then run the leads to the front moniter for Ipod connect and even Bluetooth. Anyone got one of these units.

Hi Guys i have the same setup as well and want to update so keen to know how you got on with units and price thanks. Bought a BMW X5 2001 from the UK but missing the CD Changer. Radio doesnt pickup channels very well and looks like the car had tints on the rear window that had been removed so damaged the antenna on the rear window. (Think thats why please tell me if im wrong.) Dont know much about electronics and how they work but 1st thing i want to do is get the radio working and ipod hooked. Any idea how i do that, Where i do it and at what price? I'm in Auckland. Seen some untis on trademe from a guy who sells a unit that plugs into your radio unit and then run the leads to the front moniter for Ipod connect and even Bluetooth. Anyone got one of these units.

if the antennas on window have been ripped off rather than just a small break then there isn't really a fix other than replacing the glass AFAIK.

Dice units for ipod intergration : http://www.gadgets4u.co.nz/

So i cant hook up a small aerial on the back.

You always can, it will work, but never as well as the original on-glass antenna did. Take

the wire from the antenna amplifier that goes to the window connection, and add around a 1m length of normal flex wire to it. Loop the wire around the window.

1m is about the right length for the FM band, assuming you listen to FM the most.

The wire you have added will work as the new FM antenna

Remember:

The back windscreen in the tailgate has multiple antennas

You need to add a 1m wire for each antenna

Remove the tailgate trim to observe the multiple antenna connections

Depending on your car, you may have 1, 2 or 3 FM antennas

Remember also: the TV works on the antennas on the side windows (2 antennas, one on the left, on on the right). If they have been damaged, the you also need to add a wire to them to replace the TV antennas

You always can, it will work, but never as well as the original on-glass antenna did. Take

the wire from the antenna amplifier that goes to the window connection, and add around a 1m length of normal flex wire to it. Loop the wire around the window.

1m is about the right length for the FM band, assuming you listen to FM the most.

The wire you have added will work as the new FM antenna

Remember:

The back windscreen in the tailgate has multiple antennas

You need to add a 1m wire for each antenna

Remove the tailgate trim to observe the multiple antenna connections

Depending on your car, you may have 1, 2 or 3 FM antennas

Remember also: the TV works on the antennas on the side windows (2 antennas, one on the left, on on the right). If they have been damaged, the you also need to add a wire to them to replace the TV antennas

Hi Jochen thanks for your help. I will give it a go and let you know how i got on. I do know where the radio plug is under the spare tyre. Will all the other antennas be there as well or are they located on the left rear panel where the CD changer was.

Just so you know, BMW is no longer going to release map updates on the CD format Nav systems.

they will upgrade DVD and CIC units only, so you are basically stuck with 2009 maps forever unless someone else makes something up.

Just so you know, BMW is no longer going to release map updates on the CD format Nav systems.

they will upgrade DVD and CIC units only, so you are basically stuck with 2009 maps forever unless someone else makes something up.

Wouldn't that cheese you off if you had a 2009 NZ-new Z4 with Nav?

Came with a 2009 map, and no newer releases ever available.... and the car is not even out of it's warranty period...

Or course, if BMWTouring is strictly referring to "no more CDs, only DVDs" and the map is still valid for the E85 Z4... then not such a big issue.

It would only affect Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 navs (CD only), and not the Mk4 nav (CD and DVD)

Provided the map format is correct for the Mk4 nav systems....

Cars fitted with Mk1 & Mk2 & Mk3 navs were E38 (all), E39, E46, E53 (to approx 2001).

All E83 X3, and E85/E85 Z4 came with Mk4 navs

(ignoring the Jap cars, which have Jap navs...)

Wouldn't that cheese you off if you had a 2009 NZ-new Z4 with Nav?

Came with a 2009 map, and no newer releases ever available.... and the car is not even out of it's warranty period...

Or course, if BMWTouring is strictly referring to "no more CDs, only DVDs" and the map is still valid for the E85 Z4... then not such a big issue.

It would only affect Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 navs (CD only), and not the Mk4 nav (CD and DVD)

Provided the map format is correct for the Mk4 nav systems....

Cars fitted with Mk1 & Mk2 & Mk3 navs were E38 (all), E39, E46, E53 (to approx 2001).

All E83 X3, and E85/E85 Z4 came with Mk4 navs

(ignoring the Jap cars, which have Jap navs...)

Not clever on BMW NZ part at all.

I would bet that DVD format will be for the MOST cars & not the Mk4 format - otherwise - they are still up to producing two versions of DVD disc. This no different to now where they have one CD & one DVD to cover the range

Its the CD ONLY ones im talking about IE early E65 etc.. pretty unfortunate as I have a massive demand for these maps from customers.

All the new 2011 on maps will be a BMW AG part as opposed to a BMW NZ disc.

Its the CD ONLY ones im talking about IE early E65 etc.. pretty unfortunate as I have a massive demand for these maps from customers.

All the new 2011 on maps will be a BMW AG part as opposed to a BMW NZ disc.

Yes I realise that but the Mk4 CD/DVD unit & E65 NAVI units (both CD & DVD units) all currently only read the BMW NZ produced CD discs. The current NZ DVD disc format only plays in the MOST cars. A different format DVD is required for playback in Mk4 & NAVI units.

Sooo... this is probably wiping out the majority of nav equipped cars - all ibus vehicles & all but the latest E65's

Ironically BMW NZ also shot themselves in the foot with the initial 2008 release disc too - compressed data format which eliminated playback ability from all CD based nav units.... until nearly 12 months later when an uncompressed format version was released - obviously after realizing they had initially excluded most E65's in the country.