Sign in to follow this  
MGL

e28 and the 525ee

So I've got a 525ee, it was mega cheap, goes fine except that it needs a new radiator and head. I'm about to start on the world’s most low budget stroker build- but that’s not what I'm talking about at the moment :)

e, so we know e = eta = Greek for efficiency

has a 2.7l engine, with the 200 casting head single valve springs and flows like crap.

In the states there is apparently a super e which had double valve springs, potentially a different head and the word super on the back (did it?) and I'm assuming had leather, or a cd player or something.

So what is the ee?

At first I guessed that it was a localized model, but I'm now not sure- mine has 4 wheel disk brakes, I thought the basic one had rear drums?

Is it actually a super? or is it a Australasian version or something.

e

ee

super e

Anyone know the difference? (I’ve had a good old Google and I can't find much at all, least not identifying about the ee)

Cheers!

the exta "e" was for extras , like electric windows , ac , premium audio setup , electric sunroof etc etc

i used to have one many years back that i sold to a mate who still has it .

Well it certianly does have a power sunroof (works!) A/C (doesn't) and electric windows (3 work)

I guess I do need a new head then! Well anyway, the aim is to get a m20b20/23/25 in trade for beers, so I'll see how it goes :)

CHeers,

Matt

i have a nice light weight 3L crank, rods and pistons that would liven up that car , and a head to match , will cost a bit more than a few beers though

Yeah, I figured you'd probably have those bits :)

I was just going to buy a b25 engine and swap the head, intake, afm, injectors and ecu. Idea there was basically that to get the shagged cam fixed I'd have to pull the head off anyway. So I might as well swap it for a better flowing/double sprung one. Its not going to be a super engine by any means, but it should be similar power to a b25 and have a bit more torque. I'd be happy with that for now.

Maybe when I've got a better job I'll throw a bit more money at an engine build- I've always wanted to have a go on something bigger than a fiat uno engine!

I should also add. Is it actually that simple? it seems on the net that you can just mix and match heads etc and it'll all just work.

probably the cheapest and simplist way is to put a complete 2l head and intake manifold on from a e30 320i or e28 or e34 520i and then use a e30 325i ecu and afm from a prefacelift 325i.

Fantastic- That was pretty much what I was hoping for.

As soon as my landlord puts a door on the garage I'll start engine hunting.

Cheers!