Sign in to follow this  
rotaholic

Model Confusion

Hi guys, first post. I have searched and cant find a proper answer. We have a 1999 323i E46 which we love but I was looking at upgrading to something with a bit more poke

I here the M3 is a good upgrade, what I cant figure out is what is a M3? is a 330i Motorsport a M3? or is a M3 a one off vehilce. I have noticed that you can get 318i motorsports etc are they classed as M3s?

I found that the e46 330i motorsport has about 230bhp but the M3 has about 330bhp? Just a bit confused.

Slightly of topic, has anybody used a shark injecter or similar in thier 323i? is the performance increase worth the money? Have done the k&n filter but hear chipping can gain 12hp

Assuming E46, there is a proper M3 which has a LOT of different parts and wider guards compared to a 330i (or any other E46 with Motorsport options).

Proper M3:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-364441024.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-364054965.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-362649336.htm

Edited by CamB

Ok here are a few points

First of all an M3 is the same body shape as other E46's but is a totaly different car.

M3 = different engine, gearbox, suspension, drivetrain, panels, brakes. Most things bar some of the interior will have a different part number and probably twise the price of its E46 counterpart.

It is that fastest E46 you can get (CSL eddition)

The 330 is that most powerful E46 you can get without getting an M3.

You can get a 330 with motorsport pack which gives it all the sports bits but does not make it a M3.

Do not look at badges many people put M/// and M3/// badges on cars this does not make them M3's even if they have had some bits transplanted.

An M3 E46 would be pricey (depending on you deffinition of pricey) roughly starting at 40k.

Awesome, thanks for the replys guys, that cleared everything up. Man those m3s are weapons! sadly it looks like it will just be a 330i motorsport for us this time lol

sadly it looks like it will just be a 330i motorsport for us this time lol

Don't be sad about it, the 330i motorsport is still a VERY good car, and will be a big step up from your 323i. Unless you are a hard out track day enthusiast you probably wouldn't get to use M3s difference in performance on a regular basis anyways.