Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Dave

2001 E39 Basic Telephone Interface

Hi Team,

Just wondering if anyone knows the pinouts to the 54 pin (3x18) connector on the Basic Telephone Interface box on a 2001 E39. I have found references to a DB25 connector but my car does not have this. I want to identify the radio mute, Mic and speaker lines with the aim to installing an off the shelf bluetooth kit

Cheers Dave

Hi Team,

Just wondering if anyone knows the pinouts to the 54 pin (3x18) connector on the Basic Telephone Interface box on a 2001 E39. I have found references to a DB25 connector but my car does not have this. I want to identify the radio mute, Mic and speaker lines with the aim to installing an off the shelf bluetooth kit

Cheers Dave

Easy peasy when you use the BMW Wiring Diagram System, available online in many places....

like here:

http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/

OK, you'll note there are zillions of different phone options, but when you narrow it down to the BIT, you'll see all BITs are cabled the same.

Just remember to distinguish between the Japanese BIT (JBIT) and the standard BIT.

Easy peasy when you use the BMW Wiring Diagram System, available online in many places....

like here:

http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/

OK, you'll note there are zillions of different phone options, but when you narrow it down to the BIT, you'll see all BITs are cabled the same.

Just remember to distinguish between the Japanese BIT (JBIT) and the standard BIT.

I have always struggled to understand that WDS site. Im an electronics engineer by trade but those diagrams always did my head in. However I want to figure this out, so will go back and have another look at it.

Yeah I have the Jap import version so need to track down that one

Thanks for the pointer

I have always struggled to understand that WDS site. Im an electronics engineer by trade but those diagrams always did my head in. However I want to figure this out, so will go back and have another look at it.

OK so I got into the WDS site and think Ive figured it out. Not the most friendly of wiring diagrams but I got there in the end.

I found the pinouts for the 54 pin Basic Telephone interface and the wire colours match up. But I was hoping that the logic on the TELON (telephone on) or TELM (radio mute) lines might show some voltages but nothing there. Pulling them down to ground or up to 12v +ve (via a 1k res) has no effect on the radio which is what I was hoping for.

I was hoping to take a Bluetooth unit and use CALL IN PROGRESS logic to mute the stereo but this is going to be more difficult that I thought.

Will keep thinking about but any ideas welcome

OK so I got into the WDS site and think Ive figured it out. Not the most friendly of wiring diagrams but I got there in the end.

I found the pinouts for the 54 pin Basic Telephone interface and the wire colours match up. But I was hoping that the logic on the TELON (telephone on) or TELM (radio mute) lines might show some voltages but nothing there. Pulling them down to ground or up to 12v +ve (via a 1k res) has no effect on the radio which is what I was hoping for.

I was hoping to take a Bluetooth unit and use CALL IN PROGRESS logic to mute the stereo but this is going to be more difficult that I thought.

Will keep thinking about but any ideas welcome

Check directly on your radio plug...

Old Gen - round pins in the plug =

pin 4, TEL MUTE = Pull to ground

pin 10, TEL ON = Pull to +12V - use if you connect the phone kit speaker/audio out interface into the radio... (not all radio modules have this input - if you have a C23 jap radio it doesnt) otherwise not needed.

Dean

Edited by Dogballs

Check directly on your radio plug...

Old Gen - round pins in the plug =

pin 4, TEL MUTE = Pull to ground

pin 10, TEL ON = Pull to +12V - use if you connect the phone kit speaker/audio out interface into the radio... (not all radio modules have this input - if you have a C23 jap radio it doesnt) otherwise not needed.

Dean

Thanks Dean

I found the appropriate wires (my car has the Business BM53 radio tuner) although the pin numbers were different to those that you listed. The TELM (mute) line works and mutes the radio when grounded. The TELON line did not seem to do anything when pulled up (or down) and the Phone Audio In wires with audio on them did not get through to the speakers so I suspect my car does not have these features.

Pity but I might at least be able to use the TELM line on an external Bluetooth kit

Cheers Dave

Dave,

I am probably going to have this for sale in a couple of weeks along with a Nokia Bluetooth unit... I ordered it then decided with a bit of encouragement to put a TCU in my X5...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=300521475765

Dave

Thanks Dean

I found the appropriate wires (my car has the Business BM53 radio tuner) although the pin numbers were different to those that you listed. The TELM (mute) line works and mutes the radio when grounded. The TELON line did not seem to do anything when pulled up (or down) and the Phone Audio In wires with audio on them did not get through to the speakers so I suspect my car does not have these features.

Pity but I might at least be able to use the TELM line on an external Bluetooth kit

Cheers Dave

oh you have a bm53, great. the TELON is used to "excite" the radio if it is turned off and you receive a phone call...

the bm53 definitely has the ability for phone audio, seems odd it wont work for you..? maybe a line level issue?? or something...

I have a bluetooth TCU unit for sale, you need to rearrange the pins on your plug and you will need a bluetooth antenna.. let me know if you are interested..

I have a bluetooth TCU unit for sale, you need to rearrange the pins on your plug and you will need a bluetooth antenna.. let me know if you are interested..

Hi Dean,

I might be interested in this. I wasn't going to spend that much money because I thought I could modify an OEM unit and interface it to the car. However as time moves on, it might just be easier to put a TCU unit in. My concerns would be whether the TCU would fit into my car. (plugs and wiring wise).

Cheers for you advise on the TELON line logic. I only ever played with the line with the radio already on so I will try it with the radio off. But I did expect that when I put audio (1kHz -10dBm) onto the TENF+ and TELNF- lines that I might hear it on the front speakers.

I think my car was a quite high spec ed one from Japan. It is a 09/2001 E39 touring. The only electronic box that I have not identified yet is on top of the left hand rear wheel arch, but I think this may be the VICs receiver. (I just havent figured out how to get the trim off yet with out wrecking it :lol: )

Cheers Dave