Sign in to follow this  
alanmacc

Jap to NZ Sat Nav

Ok so I am going to ask a really stupid question here if you buy a Jap import car, 525i year 2005 to upgrade the sat nav is it just a case of installing the latest NZ disk or does this need a total rest by the factory, the garage said a ball park figure of $2500 to do it but that seemed a tad steep.

I know that you would suggest just buy NZ new rather than import but import does have the distinct price advantage .....

Ta in advance

Do a search here. It's not as straight forward as that unless it's a Singaporean car.

These cars are getting quite ridiculously complicated where the factory 'configured' the car to where it'd end up.

Replacing components on the car might include a re-programming which where the car's configuration is called up. If a car finds itself in a country different to where it was originally sent to, the re-programming might fail.

If re-programming fails ........ You really don't want to find yourself in this situation. Ask around.

"Cough cough" almost choked there 2 grand holy sh*t, maybe the $2500 was not far off the mark, some good negotiation me thinks is called for

The hardware does not come cheap and the coding can't be done by ur average pirate. :)

The hardware does not come cheap and the coding can't be done by ur average pirate. :)

Damn BMW's if only i didn't like them as much <_< ......... cheers for the feedback guys

"Cough cough" almost choked there 2 grand holy sh*t, maybe the $2500 was not far off the mark, some good negotiation me thinks is called for

Its a lot cheaper than it use to be ... the e46 cost 4k to do when I did it.