Sign in to follow this  
yo_clarkie

BMW Bluetooth Telematics Control Unit

Have just removed the Siemens DECT/GSM phone from my 2001 E53 - as it was faulty. I am a little confused by what I would have to do to get bluetooth. I am unsure if a ULF or a TCU will both work?

The TCU's seem cheaper, but I see that there are CDMA (US) and GSM (ROW) ones, and would that matter when its just used for bluetooth from the head unit and steering wheel buttons to my iPhone.

Any one tried out the TCU option and any advice? Cheers

Edited by yo_clarkie

Lots of info here -

http://www.xoutpost.com/electronics/bluetooth/

Probably cheaper going after market to be honest.

I've just purchased Dice Media Bridge with Bluetooth. Will see how this goes.

Cool thread, looks like I have a BIT-II wiring setup and will need to do some re pinning to connect to a TCU, but so far encouraged.

I have a mute/power cable for the Nokia CK-7W about to arrive and a CK-7w I have had for years here and was going to go down that route, but now... Optimistic that there is an affordable factory option.

Looks like the DECT antenna for the BIT-II system and cable can be reused as Bluetooth antenna and cable as well - I guess they are the same frequency.

Cool thread, looks like I have a BIT-II wiring setup and will need to do some re pinning to connect to a TCU, but so far encouraged.

I have a mute/power cable for the Nokia CK-7W about to arrive and a CK-7w I have had for years here and was going to go down that route, but now... Optimistic that there is an affordable factory option.

Looks like the DECT antenna for the BIT-II system and cable can be reused as Bluetooth antenna and cable as well - I guess they are the same frequency.

Yes, DECT and Bluetooth are both 2.4GHz, the antenna is the same

Either TCU or ULF will work. Both offer full integration with the nav system, which you may not have with aftermarket units

ULF offers voice control of nav and phone

TCU is voice control of phone only

If you just use the TCU for a BT phone connection, then the Assist function (and hence the GSM or CDMA part) does not matter. However, if you try and code using BMW software tools, they will complain of the wrong module for the car of you fit a CDMA to a Euro-spec car.

Advantage of aftermarket is however rapid software development and firmware upgrades, and greater compatibility with modern phones

Yes, DECT and Bluetooth are both 2.4GHz, the antenna is the same

Either TCU or ULF will work. Both offer full integration with the nav system, which you may not have with aftermarket units

ULF offers voice control of nav and phone

TCU is voice control of phone only

If you just use the TCU for a BT phone connection, then the Assist function (and hence the GSM or CDMA part) does not matter. However, if you try and code using BMW software tools, they will complain of the wrong module for the car of you fit a CDMA to a Euro-spec car.

Advantage of aftermarket is however rapid software development and firmware upgrades, and greater compatibility with modern phones

Thanks Jochen, I knew euro dect was 2.4GHz but never knew that Bluetooth was the same frequency. I see some posts from you on another forum with regard to reverse engineering the wiring, so I will start with that and get a Euro one I think to avoid coding issues. I am assuming it won't throw up errors on the dash, just when running error logs? I will be building my little NavCoder interface this weekend (making a hybrid ODB and NavCoder one with a socket on it to connect to a permanently wired plug in the car, and some spare plugs with wire taps on - lack of serial port on laptops pointing me in that direction) and will buy a license, I will assume I could code either from there?

Advantages noted, however I suspect I will be well served with the BMW one - the address book sync being the first feature likely to not be supported by current and future phones, and one feature I don't really use too much from the car, mostly answer calls, not place them.

I've had both TCU and ULF in my car. Much better than aftermarket in my opinion.

If you choose a ULF you'll also have to fit a pairing button or eject box.

Cheers, TCU on its way from the UK