Sign in to follow this  
Jamex316

Engine Oil for E39 530i

Guys, is the Valvoline Synpower 5w40 or the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 any good for the e39 530i?

Both are fully synthetic, but should I use 10w30 oil as opposed to 5w40?

Guys, is the Valvoline Synpower 5w40 or the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 any good for the e39 530i?

Both are fully synthetic, but should I use 10w30 oil as opposed to 5w40?

I've just put the Valvoline Synpower 5w40 into my E39 530i. It's BMW LL01 (long life 2001) certified and I've had good experience with Valvoline over the years (not that there is much difference at the top end of synthetics, oil change frequency is more important).

I thought about putting the Castrol 0w40 in but it is BMW LL04 and should not be put in engines needing LL01. I believe the BMW supplied oil is an LL01 special euro blend of Castrol not available off the shelf other than from BMW service.

If you don't think you'll be pushing the engine hard and will not go near the ski fields, then 10w30 will be OK, but I'll be using my car for towing so the extra durability and heat stability of a 40 oil is preferable for me. It's all within spec for the E39.

Cheers

How much for the ELF oil? Where is it sold at?

Seek out your local Irish BMW Service centre and get a price off them. The price can vary between repairers. :P

Between $20-25 per litre + Gst