Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Bought a 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TTDI

Bought a NZ new 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TTDI on trademe and picking it up this Friday. Driving to Taupo in my sister inlaws Mercedes Benz CLK320 to pick it up, hopefully it will be nice enough to have the top down for a bit.

We will now have 3 Euro vehicles, the SLK, the 740, and now the Audi. This is the replacement for our 2001 Honda Odyssey V6 4WD. Why? It seemed like the right thing to do! (My firends say I have poor impulse control).

Sounds great. Good price/condition/mileage balance would you say?

Did you consider the 4.2 V8 option?

Sounds great. Good price/condition/mileage balance would you say?

Did you consider the 4.2 V8 option?

Didn't really consider the V8 as they are pretty thirsty and I already have a V8 in the 740i. The Audi has a superchip and as a result preduces more torque than my 740i so I'm looking forward to the 1st drive.

Mmmm fair call!

Quite astonishing how much torque they can produce with a tweaked engine management system.

Certainly will make for effortless town driving!

Bought a NZ new 2002 Audi Allroad 2.5TTDI on trademe and picking it up this Friday. Driving to Taupo in my sister inlaws Mercedes Benz CLK320 to pick it up, hopefully it will be nice enough to have the top down for a bit.

We will now have 3 Euro vehicles, the SLK, the 740, and now the Audi. This is the replacement for our 2001 Honda Odyssey V6 4WD. Why? It seemed like the right thing to do! (My firends say I have poor impulse control).

The audi is a little slow for the first second or so under acceleration but once moving, does go very well. These cars really do drive well, and sip fuel very delicately - handy right now with fuel prices as they are. I have taken two race bikes on a trailer and 4 adults to Taupo and passed every car on the road on the way in one - much to the surprise of a few of them.

Things to watch out for are the air pump and the air suspension bags (you know when they are failing when one corner looks down a bit after its been sitting for a few hours), improved versions can be bought in from the US/europe at reasonable prices (ebay is your friend) - if you had to buy them locally, you would probably have an stroke at the cost (the replacement pump to get is for the Mercedes S class). Cam belt is due at 120k's (from memory), and dealer price is $4500, but parts and tools + instructions from europe are about a grand or less, then any local mechanic can do it in a few hrs and a few hundred $ in costs (or you can swap the labor for the tools and you both win).

VagCom cable and software is a great investment, its very, very good for all VW/Audi's and well enough priced that its not worth copying/manufacturing/settling for an old cracked version from china. Check out Ross-Tech and look up what modifications can be done to the Allroad via software.

Enjoy!

The Allroads are nice but from what I've heard you'll need a warranty with a decent claim limit. What specs does it have? Obviously NZ New?

The Allroads are nice but from what I've heard you'll need a warranty with a decent claim limit. What specs does it have? Obviously NZ New?

The CAM belt was done at 120,000km by Audi in Hamilton. The rear suspension airbags have been done but yep that seems to be the major flaw. NZ new and has done 140,000km. Current owners are buying a Q7.

Seems to have every option except a sunroof. It does have a Thule colour matched roof box which will be good for skiing, and now we can sell the one we bought for the Odyssey.

Superchip raises torque from 370nm @ 3250rpm to 421nm @ 2550rpm, and rasied BHP frpm 180 @ 3900rpm to 195bhp @ 4050rpm and is supposed to raise the economy.

Various owners claim 800 to 900km on the 70 litre tank and at $1.65 a litre I don't mind paying 4.4 cents per Km road user charges.

Edited by jimbo

Superchip raises torque from 370nm @ 3250rpm to 421nm @ 2550rpm, and rasied BHP frpm 180 @ 3900rpm to 195bhp @ 4050rpm and is supposed to raise the economy.

Various owners claim 800 to 900km on the 70 litre tank and at $1.65 a litre I don't mind paying 4.4 cents per Km road user charges.

i would hope it could do better than that.My 120d does 700 k from about 50l.I recently had it chipped and its def got more urge,is nicer to drive and hopefully more economical too/The of idle slump is weird.it can literally idle along in third(say in slow moving traffic) but as soon s you open the throttle the torque drops off markedly.... then you are off....

The Audi is currently parked outside the Powerhaus in Wellington waiting for them to open in the morning.

Anyway yesterday much hissing and loss of cooling fluid. Luckily we were just 2km from Powerhaus. Topping up the cooling system and leaving it for an hour we found it hadn't lost anymore coolant so drove it down.

Edited by jimbo

Oh bugger. Hopefully it's nothing major. Did you end up getting a warranty in the end? I had an awesome weekend, a trip to Kai to get a trailer load of coal, and spent 4 hours cleaning our three cars - very entertaining!

Oh bugger. Hopefully it's nothing major. Did you end up getting a warranty in the end? I had an awesome weekend, a trip to Kai to get a trailer load of coal, and spent 4 hours cleaning our three cars - very entertaining!

Small pin hole in a metal cooling pipe deep int eh V of the engine so a lot of labour to replace.

What is keeping me motivated is watching some of the youtube footage of people doing some amazing stuff in their Allroads.

Edited by jimbo

Split metal pipe that runs through the V of the engine - $450+ GST to replace. Also replacing the G62 coolant temperature sensor. Should be operational tomorrow so hopefully will be all OK again.

:D Loving the Audi at the moment.

Replacing the thermostat so the car now operates at the correct temp has transformed the car. Taking it skiing in a few weeks.

My BMW 740i is still my favourite car though - it's in at powerhaus getting a WOF.

Edited by jimbo