Sign in to follow this  
Richy

m20 air intake

Hey,

I have just brought a e30 323i (First bmw) and its fully stock as far as i know, was just wondering if i added a K&N pod filter to the air intake will it increase power? would i need a heat shield or anything? or is it just a waste of time and money for the benefits gained?

Also had to change the cluster because the speedo wouldn't work, and now the oil service light says on, and the engine check light is on. I was thinking about doing the paper clip trick to reset the service light, and apparently the last owner of the car said that the coolant sensor was broken (The light by the rear vision mirror also says its bad), would this be effecting the engine check light?

H I R I C H A R D

The check light isnt engine check, it just means there is something lit up on the check panel. Which is the panel by the rear view mirror. Pushing the test button on that panel should stop the check light flashing.

And the coolant sensor is definitely whats causing it, either you genuinely have low coolant or it's busted. Either way I'd find out which and fix it :D

yeah its the sensor should i check with a multimeter? anyone got specs what it should be? i hope its not the wiring it looks very thin, and i don't wana play with looms :x

no point in putting a pod filter on without a cold air box, may aswell just get a KandN panel filter to fit the original box.

The Check sensor light is in the expansion tank.

The check sensor is on or off.. no resistance to my knowledge.. it's also normally closed, so if the circuit is opened the light will come on.

If you want to test the wiring for the coolant sensor, put a piece of wire across the pins & turn the key.

was thinking about putting the pod filter behind the head light because there looks to be a lot of room and a lot of air flow there, then either making a shield out of fiberglass or metal. But was just wondering if there is any real gain that i will get?

Doubt it.

My car came with a pod, and I went back to stock airbox, with the hose and all. Would just get a Drop in filter for the stock box.

Did a search and i found a few tests that people have done in the UK with dynos and different types of filters on the m20s, It seems they make more HP/TQ with a unshielded K&N pod filter, then they do with a K&N panel replacment or the factory filter. So most likely going to add a K&N pod filter when ive finshed my other projects on the car lol :D

Today i tryed fixing the odometer, and fuel gauge.

Fuel gauge was easy but when i did odometer i found that the new clusters odometer gear had broke so i replaced with my old odometer (known to work) to then find out that the speedo pin snapped off with the needle, so i installed my old speedo that was "broken" used the new computer board and the speedo works but the odometer still wont work and the gears all work and everything just when im driving it wont turn over.

The new board connected to the speedo unit looks to be damaged with cryogenic but seems to still work, my old board also looks a lot different, dunno if it matters one speedo was MPH and one was KM/h. I know the gears are working because it was working on the old cluster but had to change it because the speedo was only working about 5% of the time, now it works 100% but dunno if the board had a bad connection so thinking about trying it again.