Sign in to follow this  
dougsbmw

e46 new head wiring problems

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a BMW E46 318ti 2001, very neat car and I am happy with it. It is a Jap import so has a BMW mini disc player that is no use to me. I went out and bought a new head unit as well as the plastic adaptor face plate so its fits good. A mate of mine is an auto electrician and we tackled the task of installing this new head.

After some internet searching, we found a wiring diagram for the bmw radio plug that fits into the back of the factory fitted unit. After sometime he thought that he had it all figured out. YES, we did disconnect the battery before we did any work. Anyway, so the whole thing is wired up and the new head works great.

BUT now the odometer and clock illumination remain premanently on and the remote to lock and unlock the doors doesn't work, I shudder to think what other problems may lie in wait, I havent driven the car since then.

Does any one know how we go about rewiring so everything works as it should.

I am sure this is a common occurrence but no one seems to have any answers here???

basically I need to know what I have done wrong as the odo reading stays illuminated and remote no longer activates the door to lock/unlock. i thought there were some bmw "experts" here that may be able to help with some answers , but still no one with a direct answer.

Thanks, douglas

Edited by doug mt

Rings eds autos, tell them what car and what headunit. They will send you the correct adapter. Sounds to me like you've somehow hooked power into the illumination wire.

http://www.edsauto.co.nz/

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a BMW E46 318ti 2001, very neat car and I am happy with it. It is a Jap import so has a BMW mini disc player that is no use to me. I went out and bought a new head unit as well as the plastic adaptor face plate so its fits good. A mate of mine is an auto electrician and we tackled the task of installing this new head.

After some internet searching, we found a wiring diagram for the bmw radio plug that fits into the back of the factory fitted unit. After sometime he thought that he had it all figured out. YES, we did disconnect the battery before we did any work. Anyway, so the whole thing is wired up and the new head works great.

BUT now the odometer and clock illumination remain premanently on and the remote to lock and unlock the doors doesn't work, I shudder to think what other problems may lie in wait, I havent driven the car since then.

Does any one know how we go about rewiring so everything works as it should.

I am sure this is a common occurrence but no one seems to have any answers here???

basically I need to know what I have done wrong as the odo reading stays illuminated and remote no longer activates the door to lock/unlock. i thought there were some bmw "experts" here that may be able to help with some answers , but still no one with a direct answer.

Thanks, douglas

For quick diagnostic, I would read the fault memory from EWS and KOBI. Also check the fuse for central locking if your interior light still can be triggered by remote key.