Sign in to follow this  
Jay 735i

Windscreen Wiper Issues

This is a new one on me, the driver's side windscreen wiper came loose a month or so ago and was flapping about on it's own, so I tightened it up with an allen key and it was all good... until I noticed the bottom section of the wiper is actually rubbing against the underside edge of the bonnet.

I've had a look at the assembly and it seems like the spindle the wiper sits on is sticking further out than it did before, raising the bottom of the wiper assembly and causing interference issues with the bonnet. I tried taking the wiper off to have a look at what was going on underneath, but I could loosen it, but not remove it completely.

I'm a bit stuck on this one...

I think this is caused by bonnet sag. I remember having to reshape my old E34 bonnet over some large timber so it had a bit of an arc in the centre to allow the wipers to tuck under without making contact.

Cheers guys, reckon it's more the worn washers than bonnet sag. Now to figure out how to get the damn wiper off(apparently I press down... on something...).

Oh and Brent, I assume you're the guy I got the CD autochanger and red sunroof off a couple of months ago?

Cheers guys, reckon it's more the worn washers than bonnet sag. Now to figure out how to get the damn wiper off(apparently I press down... on something...).

Oh and Brent, I assume you're the guy I got the CD autochanger and red sunroof off a couple of months ago?

pull the alan bolt right out , open up the gap with a screwdriver and it should be able to wiggle it off with the wiper arm sticking straight up .

yes thats me.

if you can pull up and down on the shaft then its worn ,

remember ithe car is 20 odd years old now

you could also pull up on the bonnet a bit and check the back latching mech height and lift them up a bit

Cool, I can just hit you up on here when I need more bits then... :D

The bonnet seems to sit correctly, it's still lining up with the wings properly and it's the driver's side, so doubt it's sag.

Reckon it is as you say, a 20 year old car with a few things starting to wear out. Not a problem, I'm reasonably mechanically competent, just a few things catch me out. Had the alan bolt out completely already, spread the gap with the screw driver and it wiggles, just will not come off... will keep trying though. You're spot on though, the spindle shaft moves up and down, so it is worn.

Got a spare? :P