Sign in to follow this  
gouba

e30 central locking

Im having an issue with my central locking. Basically it's stopped working. The symptoms are

* alarm can no long control central locking

*i have to open each door manually, unlocking the drivers door doesnt unlock the passenger door (and vice versa)

*Fuel cap is locked and cannot be opened, i have had to manually open this by sliding the mechanism back so I can put petrol in my car.

*initially when it stopped there was a noise coming from the central locking relay but then it stopped.

I pulled out the central locking relay and the thermal fuse hasn't gone. In addition I took the cover off and tried the door again and there was no movement from the soleniods.

I have checked the fuse and it's not blown.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? Is there anything obvious I have missed before I try replacing the relay?

Check and try another central locking control unit, its behind/underneath the RHS front speaker

I replaced the central locking relay, with no luck.

Anyone got any other suggestions before pay for an auto electrician? :(

This happened on mine, a pin or something had come out of the drivers door lock and was lying in the bottom of the door, reattached and it worked again.

Try cleaning the contacts in the white door plug that goes between the door and the body, will be under a rubber boot, they get corroded easily

Edited by Brams

I've just been reading and heard that wiring corrosion is a huge issue. I'll have a look and see if that fixes it.

I've just been reading and heard that wiring corrosion is a huge issue. I'll have a look and see if that fixes it.

After stuffing one of these plugs i can recommend the following if it is coroded stuck; there is a white? centre tab on these plugs, grab that gently with some pliers, with the other hand release the two side tabs and pull it out. I have seen some threads saying to push the plug through the opening and then disconnect. Thats good for mangling the plug.

After stuffing one of these plugs i can recommend the following if it is coroded stuck; there is a white? centre tab on these plugs, grab that gently with some pliers, with the other hand release the two side tabs and pull it out. I have seen some threads saying to push the plug through the opening and then disconnect. Thats good for mangling the plug.

Turns out it was corrosion and a coating on the pins. $30 and some crc contact cleaner and now it's working fine. I wish i'd check that in the first place.