Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Painting alloy rims

Hey guys, i got myself some cheap rims that look alright. but need a refurb...i know how to do most of the prep work but can anyone tell me the best sort/type of paint to use. Cheers muchly

I'm just using regular Enamel + Clear for a set of wheels i have sitting in the shed. They look a million times better, but how long the paint will last once on the road i have no idea yet.

Looking forword to answers to this question as I am thinking of painting my rims as well.

Colour combinations? what are you thinking of?

On both the wheels I've had refurbed, acrylic paint+clear have been used on the centers.

The paints held up well, no flaking or chips of any sort, although theres a bit of dish on both sets so they're in a pretty safe spot I spose.

I'd worry more about prep than anything else, I had the RS' center's stripped right back by hand and the style 5's acid dipped to give a clean surface for the paint to 'stick' to. Keeping the wheels regularly cleaned after painting will help also.

Edited by Blackie

On both the wheels I've had refurbed, enamel paint+clear have been used on the centers.

The paints held up well, no flaking or chips of any sort, although theres a bit of dish on both sets so they're in a pretty safe spot I spose.

I'd worry more about prep than anything else, I had the RS' center's stripped right back by hand and the style 5's acid dipped to give a clean surface for the paint to 'stick' to. Keeping the wheels regularly cleaned after painting will help also.

What did the acid dip cost you Lucan?

lol I knew someone would ask that, I actually can't remember!

I'm thinking around $50 for all 4 though??

On mine I cleaned them using oven cleaner (works well on tar spots), then a light sand over everything, a wipe with thinners, couple of coats of primer, then acrylic over top. Just used spray cans, no clear over that as the top coat was satin black (clear coat would defeat the purpose ;) ). Has worked well, lots of coats of the satin black means it's standing up well to stone chips and the like.

Looking forword to answers to this question as I am thinking of painting my rims as well.

Colour combinations? what are you thinking of?

They are some CSL style rims off a Commodore, that have had a hard life on dirt roads!

I'm thinking of a gunmetal type colour with black on the inside of the spokes or maybe just gunmetal depending on how it looks!

Will post some pics after i finish having a play around!