Sign in to follow this  
Steve K-B

Roll cage steel

Are there any so called experts out there that can help me with roll cage steel?

From what I know most people in the club sport levels of racing use ERW tube and thats what has been suggested to me. But from doing a bit or research it seams most people in Europe and the US wont touch the stuff and think its rubbish.

From what I understand Chrome molly and (from what ive read) T45 is often used but at a thinner wall thickness to save weight and has an added expense of an engineers report and more labor in welding construction costs. I really don't have any background info on T45 but it looks like its the bees knees over in the US and Europe but looks like its mega expensive. Similar to Ch molly?

With my budget CDS, I think, is the next option.

Let me know if im wrong. The only experience ive had with CDS is limited but I know its a hell of a lot harder to bend up than ERW tube so this unscientific approach, what I read on the net and the fact that its FIA approved is largely what im basing my decision on at the moment. Good or bad? Am still waiting to find out prices....

As I said earlier I have been pointed towards ERW as its the standard over here and is well proven, has any one had experience with CDS?

Cheers

Have a chat to Ray at Chubb Racing www.rollcage.co.nz :) Don't forget the rules have now changed for the main hoop - the min diameter has increased.

Edited by zenetti

Here.

All you need to know.

Steel:

Cold drawn seamless

unalloyed carbon steel

containing a maximum of

0.22% carbon

or,

Southward Tube Mills

electrically resistant welded

unalloyed carbon steel

specification:

“Rollcage Tube QA D29”

or,

New Zealand Tube Mills

ERW (seamed) tube NZTMQ29

Chrome molly etc is good if you're a pro who has to save every last kg but for us it's pointless.

Ps, come for a beer at the pub tonight.

Thanks guys, B)

I was aware the main hoop size but its the OD that has changed to 44.5mm, the wall thickness is still 2.5mm. Thanks for Rays contact, had a chat and he also pointed me towards the ERW tube. According to him its hard to get the FIA approved tube in NZ so that's why we use ERW instead. If the car was to be raced over seas then ERW wouldn't comply so CDS or an equivalent would have to be used.

Cheers Tony, Will ask for spec sheet from Atlas steel. As for the pub, what time and where?

Edited by Steve K-B

New Brew on William Pickering Albany bout 7.30.

Proper address is on home page.

Talk to Ray Chubb or Dan Slater at Slater Fabrication

Sweet, I got Rays name wrong in the above post but I have spoken to him.

Will try and ring Slater fabrication tomorrow.

Thanks!

Ohh and ill try and make it for a couple of drinks, have a bit of work to do at 6 but should be finished around 7.

Dan Slater is the man, give him a bell 021-752-833 (cheaper than most fabricators and a lot better)