Sign in to follow this  
Mikal

328i/323i golf tee mod (exhaust)

Always wondered about the butterfly in my exhaust and did a search to see if I could find out at what RPM it opens, found alot of threads about unplugging the vacuum to the butterfly and replacing it with a golf tee. Makes the car a little louder at idle and low revs

Anyone done this? Or any reasons not to do it?

More info here... Golf tee mod

Mine has been like this for at least the last 11000kms with no ill effect. Originally designed so that at low revs and part throttle the exhaust is quiet, then as power and revs rise the flap opens allowing better breathing.

Unplugged it and went for drive to mcds. Sounds much nicer at low revs than it used to. Definitely worth my 10secs of time.

Didn't notice any difference with throttle response but was only cruising so might need a proper drive to feel anything.

If your car is auto don't bother.

Sounds 'more awesome' at low RPM, in fact, in general a more aggressive note but I found it really droned inside the cabin and horrible for long trips.... kinda makes it sound like the motor is labouring and every minor rpm movement you can HEAR i.e when the road inclines the drone gets louder. After a week or 2 I put it back to normal.

If you've got a manual I would assume it'd be much less irritating and worth it for the cool factor.

Tried it in my auto, noticed a bit of difference, definitely not a drone, something else must be up with your exhaust, slightly louder at low RPM but BARELY noticeable here.

I imagine adding chrome tips would have a louder effect <_<