Sign in to follow this  
mossline

Wheel spacers, Yay or ney...?

Just want to know the general consensus on wheel spacers?

Im thinking of getting some for my back wheels to get the wider stance but I dont want to affect anything, handling, safety or otherwise by doing so.

I love the look of staggered rims but if I can achieve a similar appearance result by using spaces then thats fine for me.

What say you?

Wont have quite the same look as most staggered set ups because you wont have more dish or more concave at the rear.

Spacers also need to be certed, and need to be hub-centric with locator rings.

I used to have some in my old e30 and didn't really notice any difference in handling, but it was only a road car.

How wide were you thinking? What wheels do you have?

If possible I'd get some lower offset/wider/staggered wheels that just bolt on

Spacers also need to be certed, and need to be hub-centric with locator rings.

Exactly, it's scary how many spacers don't have hub centric locator rings, just loading up the studs.

Asking for trouble, and in the right circumstances, trouble arrives:

Posted Image

Ho... lee... sh*t!

Maybe it'll be best in the long run if I try to find the wheels instead. Thats a scary prospect...

Ive got M5 wheels like these in 18's but they arent staggered. Only for use on a road car.

Its not a massive deal. Was just seeing what the options were...

Cheers guys

post-9112-1306314917.jpg

Same wheels as me Chris. Mine all 18 x 8 too - a BBS wheel

Yours are obviously shadow chrome like mine - darker than a lot of them out there & look better for it.

Are yours just flat spotted? They can be repaired.

Two of mine are also very slightly flat spotted (Bloody roads around here!)- must get them fixed sometime. Was told of when having them balanced last time. Can't see or feel them so as yet haven't got fixed - the "to do" list

Yeah shadow chrome looks much smarter and as my car is grey in colour it certainly looks the best combo i reckon. I saw some for sale the other day but they were only 17's and chromed. Would have looked terrible.

Thats the problem with these, they are really rare. I found a place called the tyre clinic in Wellington and they reckoned they would have it back to 98% which by looking at just how big the flat spot was, was a suprise to hear!

Happy days though, I can get my wheels fixed and dont have to worry about trying to source exact replacements.

post-9112-1306352562.jpg

Yeah shadow chrome looks much smarter and as my car is grey in colour it certainly looks the best combo i reckon. I saw some for sale the other day but they were only 17's and chromed. Would have looked terrible.

Thats the problem with these, they are really rare. I found a place called the tyre clinic in Wellington and they reckoned they would have it back to 98% which by looking at just how big the flat spot was, was a suprise to hear!

Happy days though, I can get my wheels fixed and dont have to worry about trying to source exact replacements.

bad news chris

give me a call later, I'll put you onto someone for repair

cheers

Jon

All good chap, its being repaired at the moment. Took it to a place called the tyre clinic in Wellington

bad news chris

give me a call later, I'll put you onto someone for repair

cheers

Jon