Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Knock, then check engine light on

Hi guys, I have a 97 320i E36 Jap import

Sorry about vague despcription in title. At an intersection the other day sitting in idle, all of a sudden there was a knock/banging sort of noise as if something just flew apart underneath, which at first sounded sort of in the driveline, then the check engine light came on. Went to take off and it was if it was stuck in snow mode, no power at all, and only 1 gear. Pulled over and turned it off, left it for a while then took it for a spin and same thing, so I sat idle for a bit and coming from the engine bay was a worn bearing sort of whirring noise, so I took it to the auto sparky. He got the fault code, well 3 fault codes saying the VANOS was jammed and something about the gearbox, he didn't give me the details Hen then said he cleared the faults and didnt do bugger all else still cost heaps hahaha. She then ran perfect for a while, but driving home it seemed to be a tad gutless in the low revs (even more so then the fact its a 320i), and the gearbox would change down a cog for no reason and stay like that for a good 10 mins or so, chewing the gas lol.

Im not to sure how else to describe it, but was hoping someone may have a clue as to what it may be? I live in the middle of no where so taking the car to a bm workshop is a last resort and a day off work lol otherwise I'd be whipping it straight to Glenn.

Cheers guys

The Vanos fault code may or may not be an issue. From your description I'm sure you have a serious transmission fault. I'd get it checked down there localy by someone who knows what they are doing. Some of the Hamy guys should be able to steer you in the right direction. Give Kerry a ring at Mosens