Sign in to follow this  
miketonny

Check Coolant Level

Hi guys, I have a BMW 525i E39 2002.

Early this morning when i drive to work i noticed the "Check Coolant Level" light was on. I googled a little to try to see if that's serious, and saw posts saying it's easy to check it myself, but as I'm newbie to mechanics, how exactly do i need to do to check it? and if it turns out I need to replace something, is there some articles or blogs can read?

TIA for any advices.

lift bonnet ,when engine is cold , undo the coolant tank cap (radiator cap) check if the coolant is near the top , if not top it up.

but you may just have a faulty coolant level sensor or worse a leak somewhere ,

get it checked befor you cook your engine , dont drive it if its leaking as it will over heat !!!!!

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

lift bonnet ,when engine is cold , undo the coolant tank cap (radiator cap) check if the coolant is near the top , if not top it up.

but you may just have a faulty coolant level sensor or worse a leak somewhere ,

get it checked befor you cook your engine , dont drive it if its leaking as it will over heat !!!!!

thanks I checked it 2 days ago the red stick was low, but the warning only showed up once on monday and never did again. so yesterday i added water in there to test if it's leaking . after driving for a day the stick looks fine on the level. so it's not leaking either. I was told by a workshop guy I need to put 50/50 coolant/water in there and it's better to use BMW original coolant that right? how much would this normally cost though?

thanks I checked it 2 days ago the red stick was low, but the warning only showed up once on monday and never did again. so yesterday i added water in there to test if it's leaking . after driving for a day the stick looks fine on the level. so it's not leaking either. I was told by a workshop guy I need to put 50/50 coolant/water in there and it's better to use BMW original coolant that right? how much would this normally cost though?

The last lot I got from Team McMillan was around $14 for 2 litres I think.

ah damn thats cheap if i want to do it myself just make sure it's 50/50? got any idea how many liters in total i needed?