Sign in to follow this  
so_bling_bling

AIR BAG light is on!

hey ppl.. its my first time to this site, :mosh:

mabe someone can hellp me out.. i just bought a 1997 316i, letha seats n all :pimp: ! its mint! went around a round-about once and was tryin to drift it :P got some side ways.. but then the air bag light came on :( and it wount go off... i hurd u just need to reset the air bad sistem.. ne one know how to do that?? cheers for the help!

Guest Andrew

Welcome -

You've learnt a few things now. Don't try drifting 1.6 12 hp cars. And you now need to bend over and touch you're toes and see the dealer to reset that light (or other similarly big BMW workshop)

Getting the back out around a round about isn't drifting.

Next time it will be your suspension thats broken, not just a airbag light.

What Andrew said.

Have a look on Roadfly in the BMW forums. It could be that one of the many micro switches linked to the system has gone south, or you knocked something loose. Either way, you'll need to find a dealer or workshop with a diagnostic tool to tell you whats wrong or reset the light.

Or try a reputable Auto-Electrician. Most have computer to read and reset the light, but once you kno what's wrong, you will then need to actually fix it to cure it.

My 98 323i e36 had the passenger seat sensor gone and triggered the light. That seems to be a common problem. $tealers wants about $750 to replace the sensor, my auto electrician charged me $250 install a new circuty to fool the computer.

hey ppl.. its my first time to this site, :mosh:

mabe someone can hellp me out.. i just bought a 1997 316i, letha seats n all :pimp: ! its mint! went around a round-about once and was tryin to drift it :P got some side ways.. but then the air bag light came on :( and it wount go off... i hurd u just need to reset the air bad sistem.. ne one know how to do that?? cheers for the help!

Hi

Welcome to the site. I know that this won't help you re-set the light, but it will help the rest of us understand your message.

In future (please don't take offence - I hassle everyone who uses 'text' language on here), can you post in english and at least attempt to spell words correctly, otherwise it makes the rest of us read the message a few times to understand it.

For the benefit of everyone else:

mabe = maybe

letha = leather

wount = wont

hurd = heard (unless it means rounding up livestock - which then it would mean herd)

sistem = system

ne = any

Good luck getting the light sorted.

Cheers

Grant

thanks for all the replys..

but see people.. im a DIY guy and dont like paying some wanker in an overall to touch my ride! i do it all for myself.. mechanics, panelbeating, painting etc.. so if any one can tell me how i can do it myself let me know! .. like unplug something.. short circuit something.. what ever.. if you know it works let me know!! please! cheers.

Marz

e: next time you txt it's the delete

Edited by ///Carl

Guest Andrew

thanx for all the replys..

but c ppl.. im a DIY guy and dont like paying some wanker in an overall to touch my ride! i do it all for my self.. mechanics, panil beating, panting etc.. so if ne one can tell me how i can do it my self let me know! .. like unplug something.. short curcit somthing.. wt eva.. if u know it works let me know!! plez! cheers.

Marz

it can't be done unless you buy the motronic scanner yourself.

you could try disconnecting the battery for a time but i doubt it will work.The problem with airbags and airbags sytems is that they can be dangerouus AND they are a safety system.As such they are made NOT user seviceable...if you dont go to the dealer go to a big independent workshop and ask....if you decide to work on it anyway(the airbag system that is)disconnect the battery first......

aaaah <_< stuff that.. i might just leav it.. ill just take out the bulb for that stupped light b4 going for my next WOF so they dont give me sh*t about it.. hopefully they wount notes that the light dosent come on in start up.. :ph34r:

oh ya i just stuk my two 12" subs in the back, they fit purrrrfict :thumb: :bounce:

but i need an amp.. ne one got a nice cheap amp 4 sale?

but see people.. im a DIY guy and dont like paying some wanker in an overall to touch my ride!

i do it all for myself.. mechanics, panelbeating, painting etc..

.. like unplug something.. short circuit something.. what ever.. if you know

anyone else getting a mental picture here... <_<

and a 316 drift'a no less..with 2 SUBS..wow

ok dont be such a tight ass and go get the light reset..or are you saving for some 6x9's and some neons?

aaaah <_< stuff that.. i might just leav it.. ill just take out the bulb for that stupped light b4 going for my next WOF so they dont give me sh*t about it.. hopefully they wount notes that the light dosent come on in start up..

You may notice it if the airbag is not working and you get a face full of steering wheel when you 'drift' into a lamp post.

aaaah <_< stuff that.. i might just leav it.. ill just take out the bulb for that stupped light b4 going for my next WOF so they dont give me sh*t about it.. hopefully they wount notes that the light dosent come on in start up.. :ph34r:

Although I don't think it will do you any good, but it's your choice.

Late model e36 also has an backup LED hard wired and hidden into the instrument cluster, if people trying to remove the bulb or the bulb is blown, the LED takes over.

SRS system can only be reset by special computer (be it GT1, Modic 3, etc..) Airbag systems are too dangerous to work on as home DIY anyway. Pyro-technic and compressed gas, etc..

For something that could save your life,

IMO, Save up and fix it rather than hide it and live with it.

By the way, if you decided to take the cluster off, make sure you disconnect the battery and wait at least 10 minutes. This will let the airbag systems discharge.

Taking off the dash/cluster could trigger the airbag if not done properly.

(and you will NEED to take the steering wheels off before you can do the cluster.)

Also by the way .. if you took the airbag light out you WILL fail the WOF ...

part of the wof is checking whether the airbag lights go on, because they do a self check when you turn on the ignition ...

i experienced that first hand...

Either way ... your f**ked unless you get it rest ...

Drifting 316i .. have fun!

apparently hard driving can set that sh*t off, pretty gay IMO....

gutted for you, BMW tucking another sucker for something that takes 5min :thumb:

$200+..ahahahah god you gotta love auckland prices..

*dances a jig down our streets(with FLOWING traffic)..and chucks spare cash saved

buy not being up there , around

call SD European in H-Town ..he reset mine for ..well f**k all

as for who needs them stupid airbags....well after watching test crashes with/without them..i'll choose to have that explosive device in front of my face anyday...because i like my face...and the BMW logo doesnt look good in place of your nose ..IMO

but hey..your a mad 316 drift'a...with 2 subs and home panel n paint..so your way to clever for them car safety designer mofo's

:jap:

call SD European in H-Town ..he reset mine for ..well f**k all

---------------------

but hey..your a mad 316 drift'a...with 2 subs and home panel n paint..so your way to clever for them car safety designer mofo's

true.. cheers 4 that..

n btw, i ddnt touch the paint on this one... yet! so it stil looks good.. n i just tinted it out.. 5% all round(exept for back).. it look gangsta as now :thumb: :finger: :thumb: