Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

e30 idle cutout/starting problems

My car seems to have a problem with the AFM. The first time this happened e30 wouldnt start and if it started it would barely run i replaced the AFM and went flawlessly. Today when i came to a stop my car just died and after numerous attemps i wasnt able to start it. It seems as though that when i thrash it then turn it off, then start it back up within like 1m it will crank over for ages but nothing. If i leave it to cool off for about 3-5m it works flawlessly. For example, problem happened today and cut out when i was turning out of a street, tried 3 or 4 times to start it then called my dad for a tow, just as he was leaving i gave it one more go and it started.

Air filter is in ok cond

Fuel filter cond is unknown

All other vaccum leads etc are fine

Fuel pump is getting power and havent had a problem with it

Any Suggesitons much appreciated as usual :D :D

Cheers

Mitch

You seem to have more problems than your average E30!

Is everything plugged in, ICV been cleaned recently, battery condition?

Try a new fuel pump relay.

You seem to have more problems than your average E30!

Is everything plugged in, ICV been cleaned recently, battery condition?

Yup sure do :D AFM is plugged in, however the 5 pin AFM plug ( the cord) is missing the middle pin. Not sure if its supposed to be missing or if my one has fell out. If someone could also tell me this would be much appreciated. ICV was cleaned with clean a carb about 1 month ago, Battery is a euro heavy duty one which was new at start of year. Suggestions on the internet say a blocked fuel filter could be causing this. Sound likely?

Cheers

Mitch

Try a new fuel pump relay.

Is there any way of testing the relay before a replace? where abouts is the fuel pump relay?

Does the ivc hum when the key is in the on position? (when the cars not starting)

Had the same problem on an e30 i had. It turned out to be a loose connection in the fuse box, gave the fuse box a tap and it would come back to life

Does the ivc hum when the key is in the on position? (when the cars not starting)

Had the same problem on an e30 i had. It turned out to be a loose connection in the fuse box, gave the fuse box a tap and it would come back to life

Had a good listen to it just now, usually when i turn the key it makes a vvvvvwwwvv noise hard to describe but it sounds as though its coming from the fuel pump to prime the system or something. And now i am not getting that noise at all. I dont think it is the fuel pump itself as the car wouldnt exactly run. Am i on the right track here?

The fuel pump relay as suggested looks to be the cause, instead of making the usual sound when turning the key to on all i can hear is the relay flicking on and off.

The fuel pump relay as suggested looks to be the cause, instead of making the usual sound when turning the key to on all i can hear is the relay flicking on and off.

that car is fighting you mate!

anything you need give me a call,

cheers

Jon

New Fuel pump relay will be here on friday, i will keep everyone posted on how it goes

if it is a 7 pin open it and resolder -cheapest

I thought about doing this but knew i would stuff it up. i brought a new one which will be here tommorow, i will let you know how it goes :D

IMHO, I think you'll find it's the fuel pump at the tank, I've had the same symptoms before, and solved it by squeezing the 2 pins on the plug at the pump at the tank. They get loose, and lose contact at times causing the car to stop and randomly start. Remove the cover under the back seat and wiggle the black 2 pin plug to the tank, if it's at all loose, pull it off and with a pair of pliars squeeze the sockets a little till it's tight when you refit it. Works every time, and good luck.

I've just encountered a similar problem. My e30 will stall when you engage the clutch or if you put the car into neutral. Seems like it doesn't stall until it's warmed up though. Also if I have the car in a low gear (eg 2nd) and let it slow down without the brakes on, it will not get to the idle revs and continue to move forward it just keeps slowing and stalls.

I heard somewhere about a small piece graphite contact that wears out, I think it had something to do with the AFM?

On the right track?

EDIT: Although I should mention it always starts straight away again, in fact I often just perform a rolling start.

Edited by jcerecke

I've just encountered a similar problem. My e30 will stall when you engage the clutch or if you put the car into neutral. Seems like it doesn't stall until it's warmed up though. Also if I have the car in a low gear (eg 2nd) and let it slow down without the brakes on, it will not get to the idle revs and continue to move forward it just keeps slowing and stalls.

I heard somewhere about a small piece graphite contact that wears out, I think it had something to do with the AFM?

On the right track?

EDIT: Although I should mention it always starts straight away again, in fact I often just perform a rolling start.

I may be able to help you on this one seeing as though i have encounted 99% of all e30 common problems with mine. The idle cutout problem i had was also the problem my father had with his 635csi and both cases were caused by a faulty fuel relay. However even when my relay was good my car still done this and after replacing the AFM i was sweet. So my reccomendation that worked for me is to replace AFM and fuel relay, also another member on here suggested to pop off the back seat, unscrew the fuel inspection plate and tighten the positive and negative clips that give power to the fuel pump as these are proned to comeing loose at random times causing cutouts. Everything is worth a go buddy :D