Sign in to follow this  
mc5555

replacement engines for e36

Does anyone know what else fits into an e36, without to much trouble

or whats common to go in them..

like do e34 540 engines fit in them?? 735?

any motor that wasnt made for an E36 is gonna b have trouble.

You think ... the car wasnt designed for other engines, its gonna need new shocks, new springs and other things like that to compensate for the gain in weight.

any motor that wasnt made for an E36 is gonna b have trouble.

You think ... the car wasnt designed for other engines, its gonna need new shocks, new springs and other things like that to compensate for the gain in weight.

Not likely, for road going purposes the extra/less kg's between engines will make snaf all difference.

Any of the alloy V8's prolly weigh less than a M50 anyway.

Space wise a E36 could acomodate most types of engine, Hell a V12 fits in an E30!!

But nothing other than a E36 Engine (M44, M50, S50 etc..) will BOLT IN, anything else will need plently of custom work I'd say.

actually, yeah i suppose the weight wont work too well having slot heavier engine in a 318 with lowered springs.

isnt an sr20 a 4wd, i wanna get me a 540 engine those things are quik

actually, yeah i suppose the weight wont work too well having slot heavier engine in a 318 with lowered springs.

you'd need springs rated for a 6 cylinder, rather than a 4.

sr20det itself is just an engine, it's the gearbox that matters. If you do get a halfcut, you would want to avoid a 4WD gearbox. heh.

I'd say stay away from the nissans. Exhaust is on the incorrect side.

I'd also stay away from any 2.0 L 4 cylinder turbo engines... the vehicle is just too heavy for that type of engine.

you'd need springs rated for a 6 cylinder, rather than a 4.

sr20det itself is just an engine, it's the gearbox that matters. If you do get a halfcut, you would want to avoid a 4WD gearbox. heh.

I'd say stay away from the nissans. Exhaust is on the incorrect side.

I'd also stay away from any 2.0 L 4 cylinder turbo engines... the vehicle is just too heavy for that type of engine.

having the exhaust on the left hand side (I'm pretty sure this is all nissans? rb

s are anyways...) isn't necessarily a bad thing.... hell, it makes it easier to make up custom manifolds and sh*t, with the steering gear not getting in the way

I also disagree on the " stay away from 2.0l 4cyl turbo" thing... If you're gonna chuck a 2 litre back in there than, In my opinion, you would be BETTER to go for a 4, over a 6- should be more torque with the four (longer stroke etc cokmpared to a six)

ideally, go for something 2.5litre upwards - rb25det or a rb26dett would be mean, or, like glenn, a 1jzgte...