Sign in to follow this  
turbolizard

e34 6 speed

Thinking about an upgrade, but not sure which way to go, or whether to upgrade at all.

Current car is NZ new e34 540i, 6 spd manual, Style 5 staggered wheels, which I have had for about 8 years and am pretty fond of. I still love driving it and every time I drive a rental car I come home thinking I would not swap it for a new Falcon or Commodore, even though they are worth more $$.

Possible most likely upgrade is e39 M5, but possibly e60, 545i, 550i (probably not M5). I would rather have a v8 than a v10 for initial cost, maintenance and complexity reasons, and because I just love the sound of v8.

Pros and Cons I see are...

e34 540i:

Pros: I already own it so cheapest option by far, engine is v8 and just fast enough with proper manual trans, old school interior is pretty nice in my eyes, feels luxury and well made to me, doors close like bank vault, low maintenance cost, becoming classic and interesting

Cons: less safety than newer car, electrics give minor problems from time to time due to age, mileage approaching 300k (not big deal to me - car feels great)

e39 M5: seems most like my car but more modern and powerfull - less sure about looks

Pros: engine is awesome v8 and plenty fast enough for me, proper manual trans, slightly old school interior design which surrounds driver, sound, lower maintenance cost than e60??

Cons: body style looks a bit dated to me now, electrics getting old and quite complex

e60 545i, 550i:

Pros: engine is v8, I really like the styling, modern car with good safety

Cons: not available in manual, car is not limited production and of little interest to enthusiast in a few years (resale??), less distinctive and interesting (just a good car)

e60 M5:

Pros: its an M5, crazy performance, styling, modern car with good safety

Cons: not truly manual (but maybe I just need to think more modern), way more expensive, maintenance, v10 does not strongly appeal

What do you think?

Thinking about an upgrade, but not sure which way to go, or whether to upgrade at all.

Current car is NZ new e34 540i, 6 spd manual, Style 5 staggered wheels, which I have had for about 8 years and am pretty fond of. I still love driving it and every time I drive a rental car I come home thinking I would not swap it for a new Falcon or Commodore, even though they are worth more $$.

Possible most likely upgrade is e39 M5, but possibly e60, 545i, 550i (probably not M5). I would rather have a v8 than a v10 for initial cost, maintenance and complexity reasons, and because I just love the sound of v8.

e34 540i:

Pros: I already own it so cheapest option by far, engine is v8 and just fast enough with proper manual trans, old school interior is pretty nice in my eyes, feels luxury and well made to me, doors close like bank vault, low maintenance cost, becoming classic and interesting

Cons: less safety than newer car, electrics give minor problems from time to time due to age, mileage approaching 300k (not big deal to me - car feels great)

e39 M5: seems most like my car but more modern and powerfull - less sure about looks

Pros: engine is awesome v8 and plenty fast enough for me, proper manual trans, slightly old school interior design which surrounds driver, sound, lower maintenance cost than e60??

Cons: body style looks a bit dated to me now, electrics getting old and quite complex

e60 545i, 550i:

Cons: not available in manual, car is not limited production and of little interest to enthusiast in a few years (resale??), less distinctive and interesting (just a good car)

e60 M5:

Cons: not truly manual (but maybe I just need to think more modern), way more expensive, maintenance, v10 does not strongly appeal

What do you think?

e39 m5

e34 540i:

e60 545i, 550i:

e60 M5:

What do you think?

I think the e60 would be the best idea. The reason being is that they are just coming into their own design wise and if you keep your cars for quite a while, you should buy the latest model you can afford. While the e39 is an awesome bit if kit, it is just starting to look a bit dated, just as the e60 is starting to look hot!

You should only get the M5 if you want monster performance and a heavy drinker...they are bloody awesome to drive, but if your driving style isn't mad, then the 54x would be a good choice. The newer tiptronic autos are great to drive, but I agree that a manual is more engaging.

I agree that a manual is more engaging.

My main reason for sayin a e39 m5

i think a e 60 545 or 550 m sport would be awesome pity they dont come in manual.Might seem a strange choice but if looking at e60 you must drive a 530 d

Edited by kiwi535

If I could have the perfect car I would have the e39 M5 running gear in the e60 Motorsport body. That would be fantastic - call it an M4.5, I don't care that it is slower than M5 V10.

I do tend to keep my cars for a long time so I'm wondering what I will think of the e39 and e60 cars in 5 years time. The new 5 series looks bland to me - I think it is too mainstream.

When I got my e34 the e39 M5 was about 80-100k to buy and I totally lusted after one of those, but the price was just too high. I liked the e60 shape from the start but the M5 was not around then.

The style of the e34 seems very BMW to me, as I grew up thinking 635CSi Group A was the most mind blowing sound I ever heard and loved the e30 style (still like it). That probably explains why I still quite like e34 - I think it is still classic BMW.

How do you think e39 style will age from here? Will it look more classic with time or will it just look more dated? Is e39 M5 vs e34 like e36 vs e30 M3? In my opinion in 10 years time e30 will look way better than e36.

If I could have the perfect car I would have the e39 M5 running gear in the e60 Motorsport body. That would be fantastic - call it an M4.5, I don't care that it is slower than M5 V10.

I do tend to keep my cars for a long time so I'm wondering what I will think of the e39 and e60 cars in 5 years time. The new 5 series looks bland to me - I think it is too mainstream.

When I got my e34 the e39 M5 was about 80-100k to buy and I totally lusted after one of those, but the price was just too high. I liked the e60 shape from the start but the M5 was not around then.

The style of the e34 seems very BMW to me, as I grew up thinking 635CSi Group A was the most mind blowing sound I ever heard and loved the e30 style (still like it). That probably explains why I still quite like e34 - I think it is still classic BMW.

How do you think e39 style will age from here? Will it look more classic with time or will it just look more dated? Is e39 M5 vs e34 like e36 vs e30 M3? In my opinion in 10 years time e30 will look way better than e36.

I think the e39 s still look great,and will always look great.

this post is worthless with out pictures of your 540i 6spd :D

this post is worthless with out pictures of your 540i 6spd :D

quoted for truth

Keep the E34, or sell it to one of us! :D

I don't think safety is really an issue with one of these - stories of these hitting concrete barriers at 100kph, writing off the body but still keeping core integrity spring readily to mind. You're still safer in one of these than anything smaller or of equal size/age IMO.

(Saying IMO to avoid the splitting of hairs, requests for explanations, etc etc.)

I looked at buying an E39 540i sports, but couldn't see the difference to the e34..

Just an upgrade really. Not that much difference in body style, air bags-fear bags... No one lives for ever!

I'd need to do the exhaust, the wheels and the suspension, just to get the feeling right, then it wood be my e34 again...

Nice car, but not that much difference to what I've got to justify buying another car.

Have you thought about rebuilding your M60? Get a little blower? twin turbo's?

I think e34's are classic looks, well the V8's with the wider grille anyway. I get a lot of looks in mine, people think it's a much later model, doesn't look like 1994 styling.

I'm thinking project car, leave my car as is.. Got my eye on a e24!

Or importing a hell motor, and 6 speed?

My 2c worth!

I looked at buying an E39 540i sports, but couldn't see the difference to the e34..

Just an upgrade really. Not that much difference in body style, air bags-fear bags... No one lives for ever!

I'd need to do the exhaust, the wheels and the suspension, just to get the feeling right, then it wood be my e34 again...

Nice car, but not that much difference to what I've got to justify buying another car.

I think e34's are classic looks, well the V8's with the wider grille anyway. I get a lot of looks in mine, people think it's a much later model, doesn't look like 1994 styling.

My 2c worth!

there is some good stuff here.I drove an e39 540 six speed and it was TOO nice

My 2c worth!

I went down the same road a few years ago considering upgrade to e39 540 manual and decided to stay with my e34. There was just not enough difference and if I change now to e39 it will be for M5 only. I love swapping gears myself.

I don't really want to modify the car I have, although I totally understand why people like to do this. I have a different exhaust but thats it - everything else is factory and I quite like it that way. It has enough performance for me, but that does not stop me thinking M5 power would be nice.

Only got room for a certain number of toys.

To the guys wanting photos - I don't have many but will see if I can find some. Car is really dirty now - been out driving in the crappy weather.

....... but that does not stop me thinking M5 power would be nice.

Only got room for a certain number of toys.

should hope so they are 400 hp (the factory says) and torquey with it