Sign in to follow this  
kevinator9

E30 Loss Of Power

Hi Guys,

Just this morning I had a little trouble with the e30.

I have not had this happen before so I will try to explain it the best I can.

First off, car details on the first post.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....t=0&start=0

The problem is, in the mornings, I have to be gone by 7:30am. I start her up and she goes first pop almost every time.

This morning, the temp gauge was sitting at dead low but the engine is idling fine. When I pull her in drive I go along no issues and then it will start surging/cutting.

I was going along at 50km/h and then the revs cut for a few seconds and then power will come back for a while and then cut again. This happened a number of times within 1km of leaving. It also sounded like it backfired when the power cut but I cannot be sure of that.

I limped to a petrol station (at about 20km/h as it was still cutting) and turned off the car. The fuel indicator was reading just above empty but I know for a fact the low fuel light does work and the car has run fine to that point before. I couldn't put any gas in though because the pumps at BP were closed for some reason. So I got back in the car, fired her up and she went away no issues. By this time the temp gauge was sitting around halfway between the centre line and the blue end.

Do I need to let the engine warm up first on cold mornings or is there something dreadfully wrong with the poor old girl?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

I have the same problem if I don't use my car for a week or a so and then drive it while its dead cold.

Tends to happen more often in 2nd gear I find and higher up the rev range between 2.5k and 3.5k.

Its fine after 5mins of driving.

I have the same problem if I don't use my car for a week or a so and then drive it while its dead cold.

Tends to happen more often in 2nd gear I find and higher up the rev range between 2.5k and 3.5k.

Its fine after 5mins of driving.

Mine is driven daily but I guess it gets fairly cold in Palmy? :P

Never had this problem up in Auckland so I have a feeling it could just be the cold...

It sounds like some kind of electrical problem to me, something like a loose earth or sticky relay etc.