Sign in to follow this  
jom

JVC in E36

I've just replaced a VDO head unit in my E36 with a JVC, so I get a USB socket for the ipod.

After sorting through the correct wiring interfaces....(including the yellow/red swap) it works, but only on the rear speakers. Using the fader affects the balance on the rear speakers. (So does the balance control)

I've traced the wiring from the JVC/standard end to BMW colours - it all looks fine.

Any ideas? Is there a wiring change I've missed, or is it just a duff head unit?

Jo

Your car may or may not have a standard AMP in the boot, on the left behind the carpet.

You may need to hook the remote wire up from the headunit so it activates the factory amp, had this problem last weekend.

could be something else though.

If you play FM radio do the front speakers work?

If yes then you need to swap the remote-on and electric aerial wires coming out of the headunit.

Edited by rogan

Thanks, that did it.

The aftermarket radio connector is wired with the antenna lift wire (blue) as standard, the amp on/off wire (blue/white) is hanging in the breeze. I piggbacked the two together, and I now have front speakers.

Cheers

Jo

I would disconnect the h/u electric aerial wire. Just in case there's an issue feeding 12v into that wire when playing sources other than the radio.

I would disconnect the h/u electric aerial wire. Just in case there's an issue feeding 12v into that wire when playing sources other than the radio.

done that.

Still not too much noise from the front speakers (but at least some), so I took a look at the amp in the boot. It's not pretty....

Any ideas why it's like this? What should it look like?

Cheers

Jo

post-2945-1310874864.jpg

done that.

Still not too much noise from the front speakers (but at least some), so I took a look at the amp in the boot. It's not pretty....

Any ideas why it's like this? What should it look like?

Cheers

Jo

So...when i bought the car it had a very flakey BMW cassette player in it, which I got the dealer to replace. Subsequently I replaced that (green graphics, it was horrible) with a BMW fitted VDO head unit, and I had some front speakers sound with that.

What I think happened is that the car came in from Japan with a quality stereo and amp. Somewhere between compliance and the dealer it got removed and the BMW amp wasn't reconnected - the wires were bullet connected to mimic a crossover circuit.

A lot of bullet connectors and cable (and new amp) from Jon and Keren, and I now have sound in 8 speakers, not 2!

PS

If I ever find out who did the compliance... I know it was 5 years ago, but I'lll strangle whoever fitted the Indian made brake pads. White painted with "Gur" marked on the back. They wore the disc more than the pad, and were so bad that the ABS didn't even work in the wet.