Sign in to follow this  
650V8

New here, 2006 6 Series, 4.8 litre V8

Hi All

Picked up this Jap import 2 weeks ago.

Hopefully I managed to get the pics inserted into this post.

Have had a 528 (1996) for 10 years previously. A wonderful car, my first BMW that I intend to keep and polish for years to come. The experience with the 5 series made me keep a look out as the new Beamers came out. When I saw the 6 series, I guess it was love at first sight.

Now that they have taken the major depreciation hit, I got one. 66K on the clock and through people I know I know the previous owner....majority highway/motorway driving to and from work. He traded it in on a Aston Martin.

Pics attached to the post hopefully.

Looking to get some panels (grill and bonnet) resprayed (chip damage) and a Jap Sat Nav/Radio/TV conversion in a few weeks. Also hope to find how to disable the reverse "beep beep" common to Jap imports.

Love the power of the V8. Its doesn't hang around and the handling is excellent. Fuel consumption, ahem, well lets say is consumes fuel and won't save the environment anytime soon.

Paul

post-15545-1310668561.jpg

post-15545-1310668571.jpg

post-15545-1310668578.jpg

post-15545-1310668585.jpg

Welcome.

Nice e63, tidy example.

Welcome, nice motor :P

I am sure you have heard Jeremy Clarksons' quote on it :

If you were to buy a 6-series, I recommend you select reverse when leaving friends' houses so they don't see its backside.

I personally think they look better in person, the photos do not do the car justice.

Enjoy B)

Thanks Matt...Jochen was kind enough to mention these guys as well.

I am booking the car in this coming week to get the conversion done and the "beep beep" removed.

Can't wait for the Nav to work and the reverse "beep beep" to be gone.

The place the car will get its paint job (bonnet etc) is currently processing the Govts new 7 series, so car can't get in there until August for paint job.

Re: Jeremy Clarkson. Yep I read his review before buying the car. I also remember that quote about reversing out so your friends can't see the back of the car...but I kinda like the backend of the car...I guess its a personal preference. Plus the boot is huge for a sports car....golf bag, skis or dead body could fit in there !!@

I also noted his comments that the ride was too hard. I find the ride about right and less hard than other sports cars I have owned in the past although of course the ride is "harder" than that of a 5 or 7 series of course.

Handling is "tight" and near perfect as you'd expect from a Beamer.

I initially had to agree with his comments that it was hard to get a comfortable and good seating position. Had to frick around with the steering wheel and seat for a few days but finally have a good position. I am over 6 foot like he is, so probably this is worse for taller drivers but can be solved eventually.

Lastly, regarding his other comments on the reception the 6 series gets from other drivers...we'll see....noticed a few looks the last few weeks....now I have added a personalized plate...lets see if that makes it worse !!

One thing I disagree with Clarkson is the engine noise. It really growls and you can tell its a V8 in there. Maybe in his old age he can't hear low frequencies properly anymore :) I love the sound the engine puts out.

Paul