Sign in to follow this  
Smac01

Insurance issues - worth checking about Car Parts

Too true.

I guess I will have to be particularly careful when I re-insure my car once all the conversion work is done and certified.

Oh, and I disagree with this - there is a fundamental difference between a car part, and a car accessory.

Bzzzzt! Clear! lol Sorry to resusitate an old thread, but this is also of relevance to EQC claims too - just had them knock me back on my claim for two car batteries and a car charger on the grounds that they are 'vehicle accessories', specifically used for a car, and therefore not covered under EQC claim. Tower confirmed that too.

So despite being on a garage floor and covered in several inches of silty sh*t, they are not covered. Guess I have a bit of an argument coming my way!

Interesting.

What helped my situation was the policy wording. They were specifically excluded from my contents insurance, but fell under my motor vehicle insurance.

Here is an excerpt from my argument:

However, you advised that the Contents policy doesn’t cover car parts or accessories. Therefore, the claim should fall under my Motor Vehicle policy.

This policy states:

“The motor vehicle, caravan or trailer (registered for use on public roads) specified in the Certificate of Insurance including spare parts, attached equipment and accessories (including any built in telephone) or tools which were factory fitted or supplied with the vehicle.â€

This explains that spare parts are covered by the definition of a motor vehicle. Spare parts, by definition of being “spareâ€, are never attached to a car, therefore there is nothing stating they need to be on, or in, the vehicle to be covered.

Good luck, and stick to your guns (unless they are clearly excluded in the wordings).....

Edited by brunch