Sign in to follow this  
joel5425

diff stampings...? LSD

where is it stamped on a e36 diff if it is a LSD or not...??? just want to know so when i go to look at buying one i can check the stampings. thanks

My stamps at the top side of my diff, its pretty faded though. The other way is to just spin one side, both sides should move in the same dirrection. The LSD will also have a ratio tag on it and will start with the letter "S".

If you are unsure, buy your diff off someone from here. Chances are you will end up with an LSD.

where is it stamped on a e36 diff if it is a LSD or not...??? just want to know so when i go to look at buying one i can check the stampings. thanks

have done the spin the wheel test but both wheels dont spin at the same rate...im thinking it has never really been servied with proper lsd oil so now has pretty much stuffed it because from looking at tag it is a lsd...

what type of money would i be looking at spending to get a good lsd off someone on here, i havent had much to do with bmw's so dont know how much i should be paying...???

Last lsd differential i saw sold was about 900. I paid 1200 a while back.

The spinning test sometimes doesn't work. I nearly found this out the expensive way. Old oil can make an open diff bind up the spider gears.

To avoid confusion pull the rear plate off it.

I don't think the differential you were looking at was an lsd if one side spun slower then the other