Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

bmw e34 540i rattle/knocking

Hey guys,

My e34 540 has developed a loud rattle/knock.

It sounds like something is rattling rather loudly underneath the center console around the handbrake area, i removed the center console and it is still there, ive determined that its coming from under the car in the trans tunnel area, it sounds like a metal bracket is hitting the tunnel under certain acceleration points.

The knock occurs when accelerating, up hills, from a stop etc. its not usually there when at constant speed on a flat. My first thoughts here are a worn hanger bearing causing the driveshaft or the hanger to slap about.

The car goes on a hoist on wed so i will check out the driveshaft then, i was just wondering if there was anything else around that area that could or has been known to cause a similar sound?

Cheers

Oli

Hey guys,

My e34 540 has developed a loud rattle/knock.

It sounds like something is rattling rather loudly underneath the center console around the handbrake area, i removed the center console and it is still there, ive determined that its coming from under the car in the trans tunnel area, it sounds like a metal bracket is hitting the tunnel under certain acceleration points.

The knock occurs when accelerating, up hills, from a stop etc. its not usually there when at constant speed on a flat. My first thoughts here are a worn hanger bearing causing the driveshaft or the hanger to slap about.

The car goes on a hoist on wed so i will check out the driveshaft then, i was just wondering if there was anything else around that area that could or has been known to cause a similar sound?

Cheers

Oli

sounds like a hanger-bearing.diffenatly check your driveshaft.

also if the hanger is gone the rubber driveshaft coupling (donut) will most likly be stuffed as well .

can help with parts if you need.

thanks brent