Sign in to follow this  
RustyItalian

E39 fan removal tools

Morning all

Next week I plan to take a day off work to replace my VANOS seals using a Beisan systems kit. On cold start my E39 clunks and bangs like you wouldn't believe...

The procedure is very straight forward, the only problem I can see is getting the damn fan off.

Does anyone have the tool to hold the fan steady while you undo the threads that I could borrow? I have the actual spanner (Bluepoint BMW specific spanner was under the spare tyre when I bought the car) but I need the brace.

Prefer not to have to make one. Happy to pick up/deliver in AKL (with beers or whatever...).

I've tried holding the fan and smacking the spanner but too tight (and yes I do know it is a LH thread ;) ).

Cheers

Richard

you talking about the radiator fan thing? you don't need to hold the fan itself steady. what you need to hold steady is the pulley. and the fan bolt is reverse threaded - turn clockwise to loosen..

i made a tool but cant find it anywhere anymore since we moved houses. for now i have been using a hole punch and using a spanner as leverage on the whole punch on the pulley to counter the twist it works but have done it many times and probably easier now as the bolt not rusted in place as it used to be.

Edited by Docile

Hold a screwdriver between 2 of the nuts that hold the pulley on.

I'll have a go, but you guys must have smaller hands than me... :P

Careful not to bend the screwdriver !! have bent 2 that way :)

Well after severing half my fingers off to get in there managed to pop it loose using a long screwdriver wedged in. So knowing that will come loose easy I'll be into it one day this week.

Thanks

Richard