Sign in to follow this  
master garion

moisture/vapour barrier replacement on E46

Hey guys

I've just bought some butyl sealant from the dealer with the intention of resealing the moisture barrier on a rear door. I have water leaking into the footwell.

The barrier is in terrible state and torn in many places. Other than buying a new one from the dealer (unsure of price), is there a good alternative, say like plastic sheeting cut to size? Has anyone done this before?

Also, any ideas on how to remove the old sealant from the door?

cheers

I would suggest you use the correct part. If you saw what was under the floor you would appreciate why, long term

I would suggest you use the correct part. If you saw what was under the floor you would appreciate why, long term

Glenn, do you mean the sound insulation aspect of the barrier? If so, I would definitely go with the BMW part. Cheers.

Glenn, do you mean the sound insulation aspect of the barrier? If so, I would definitely go with the BMW part. Cheers.

Its not really sound insulation as such, it's more of a weather seal to stop water that gets into the doors getting into your car.