Sign in to follow this  
mrad01

Mitchelin Pilot Super Sports

My car runs Pilot Sport 2s - which are bloody amazing road tyres - I think the best I've driven on (I'm sure there will be other opinions).

The rears are now poked and I saw that Mitchelin have the Pilot Super Sports out now - but they weren't here in NZ yet. Spoke with the importer and they are importing some PSS 275/35 19s for me, which is great!

So, if you are running the PS2 - the PSS is faster/better/cheaper/lasts longer. So ask for those instead - they will get them in for you.

Sales vid [warning: sales vid]:

Hmmm im looking into these myself for the 540 .. probably import them as the dollar is stupidly good and tirerack.com is pretty cheap. Shipping isnt as nasty as I 1st thought either

When will you be doing it (import)? My e46 will need some new tyres in couple of months.

Hmmm im looking into these myself for the 540 .. probably import them as the dollar is stupidly good and tirerack.com is pretty cheap. Shipping isnt as nasty as I 1st thought either

Did you use their shipping quoting system? If so, what zip code did you use????

No I haven't ordered yet ... PM m3_power and ask him, hes recently got some for his.

Did you use their shipping quoting system? If so, what zip code did you use????

Email walt@tirerack.com and ask for a quote. He'll need the order details, your shipping address, and phone number.

Email walt@tirerack.com and ask for a quote. He'll need the order details, your shipping address, and phone number.

Cheers!

hmmm dam it, they dont support 255/40ZR17 in the PSS :( might have to go for the PS2's not that thats a too bad thing.

hmmm dam it, they dont support 255/40ZR17 in the PSS :( might have to go for the PS2's not that thats a too bad thing.

Ha, yes, the ps2 has got my vote! Bloody impressive grip, ESP after the bridgestone run flats I had on the 335...

Had the pss put on today, will give them a few kms to get rid of the slippery stuff, then give them a test!

Sweet, cant wait for the review ..

Keen on hearing about quiteness, wet lateral grip, dry lateral grip and shoulder strength.

Keen on hearing about quiteness, wet lateral grip, dry lateral grip and shoulder strength.

...and Auckland has turned on the waterworks today. Out for a drive it is!!!

Alright, I may not have the exact answers for you - but here is what I have found so far..

Car has 245/35 19s PS2 Front and 275/35 19s PSS Rear. Front and Rears are brand new. The PS2 was sooo good on the front that I didn't want to move away from it. And because the PS2 didn't last too long on the rear - I wanted something better. So this is about the PSS on the rear.

The PSS is very quiet - with windows up going down the Auckland northern motorway at 100kmh - virtually no sound at all. So a little bit better than the PS2 which always had a slight rumble.

Grip in the dry seems the same as the PS2 - couldn't really find a difference there, they both hang on madly. So impressive. Even just before the limit, they were very predictable and stable.

Grip in the wet is better than the PS2 - you will actually notice this. Some roundabouts in the wet this morning were awesome. No sliding or even the feeling of letting go - even at near dry approach speeds. Nice and safe.

So that was day 1 - so far, so good - and a good choice! Lets just see if they live up to the much hyped "longer life" than the PS2...

Edited by E90 M3

interesting ... little off topic. But how long did it take for the PS2's to wear down on the rear, also what was your load rating ? 92y etc

Im just trying to get a comparison before I sink a couple of k into something that the 5 series will normally eat for breakfast being 1800+kgs

interesting ... little off topic. But how long did it take for the PS2's to wear down on the rear, also what was your load rating ? 92y etc

Im just trying to get a comparison before I sink a couple of k into something that the 5 series will normally eat for breakfast being 1800+kgs

I managed to get approx 18000kms from the PS2 rears. Their load rating was 93Y. The PSS I have now are rated 100Y

I managed to get approx 18000kms from the PS2 rears. Their load rating was 93Y. The PSS I have now are rated 100Y

Seriously? Do you like do a burnout every weekend or something?

I have over 25,XXXkm on my car since new and have had three full on track days at Pukekohe in the dry and the tyres still had more than 70% of tread on them front and rear when it was sold (5mm+ tread).

Your alignment must be completely out of range for it to wear out in such low km.

By my estimate the PS2 will last at least 35,000km+ without any issues (and that's with a couple of track days thrown into it).

Edited by M3_Power

Seriously? Do you like do a burnout every weekend or something?

I have over 25,XXXkm on my car since new and have had three full on track days at Pukekohe in the dry and the tyres still had more than 70% of tread on them front and rear when it was sold (5mm+ tread).

Your alignment must be completely out of range for it to wear out in such low km.

By my estimate the PS2 will last at least 35,000km+ without any issues (and that's with a couple of track days thrown into it).

Puke is one big straight really, I don't think it's too hard on rears compared to other tracks.

Alignment is spot on, foot is heavy. I used to get around 25000kms for the rears on my 335i, so it must be my driving. Oh well, good fun.

ok cool.. Not like me and my 330 on the 19's then. I only got about 2025k out of them too. Lead foot.

Things have changed a little bit in the 5er. So looking for a nice 30k+ which it sounds like they will do. I was checking that the reason a lot of these tire are good is because of a softer compound, Doesnt seem to be the case with high end tires which is good. You certainly pay for what you get I guess and that is amplfied with a heavy car which I obviously have to mindful of.

ok cool.. Not like me and my 330 on the 19's then. I only got about 2025k out of them too. Lead foot.

Ha! brilliant!

I know guys who have those C63AMG thingies and they get around 12000-15000 out of a set of rears - and that is just driving *fairly* normally. Those things chew rubber...

I'm figuring that the PSS really does have a longer life than the PS2 according to some guys on m3post.

Puke is one big straight really, I don't think it's too hard on rears compared to other tracks.

Alignment is spot on, foot is heavy. I used to get around 25000kms for the rears on my 335i, so it must be my driving. Oh well, good fun.

I have noticed that the E9X M3 chew the rears lot heavier than the fronts compared to the E46 M3 (which is the other way around - the rears get bugger all wear at all and last at least twice as long as the fronts).

Must be your lead foot then haha ...

Josh FYI - my brother managed over 45,000km on his 335i sedan with the PS2 and that was with daily commute out to Whitford - so they do last a fair bit of miles without too much drama.

Josh FYI - my brother managed over 45,000km on his 335i sedan with the PS2 and that was with daily commute out to Whitford - so they do last a fair bit of miles without too much drama.

Good to know! :) I will expect 35k out of mine which for me hopefully will be 2 years.