Sign in to follow this  
timetodrive

Autodim mirrors no worky

Hey Guys, 97 E38 with autodim mirrors that aren't working. Have checked the fuse and connections and they are fine, does anybody know of a common fault with this part of automotive genius? where is the best place to start fault finding?

Thanks in Advance

Hi Josh,

I've read online that it's a common fault with Auto Dim mirrors (rear view mirror and wing mirrors). From memory people say that its two pieces of glass with a conducting gel in-between, so when a small electrical current runs through it, they will dim. Over time it fails and there are some pictures of the mirrors with the gel coming out the bottom of them.

If you click here, the link talks about the E39 M5 with auto dim mirrors and is a common fault. If mine fail I would just buy the manual dimming rear view mirror and heated, tinted aspheric wing mirrors.

Edit: It might pay to give Glenn at Botany MotorWorx a call or a PM to see how much it might cost to fix.

All the best,

Derek

Edited by Derek007

Hi Josh,

I've read online that it's a common fault with Auto Dim mirrors (rear view mirror and wing mirrors). From memory people say that its two pieces of glass with a conducting gel in-between, so when a small electrical current runs through it, they will dim. Over time it fails and there are some pictures of the mirrors with the gel coming out the bottom of them.

If you click here, the link talks about the E39 M5 with auto dim mirrors and is a common fault. If mine fail I would just buy the manual dimming rear view mirror and heated, tinted aspheric wing mirrors.

Edit: It might pay to give Glenn at Botany MotorWorx a call or a PM to see how much it might cost to fix.

All the best,

Derek

Great Thanks very much for your help