Sign in to follow this  
Jamie W

m52b28 conversion

Hey just after some more info on all the parts needed for completing this conversion into my e30. So far i have the Engine (vanos) and a getrag 220 gearbox. Next on my shopping list is the OBD1 conversion kit. Is this really needed for this conversion? and what are all the parts that this consists of? Thanks heaps!

Jamie

Cool thanks for the site!

Getrag 220 gearbox is usually matched to smaller cpacity engines or lower torque engines like the M50.

The M52 produces more torque than am M50 and the M52B28 is top dog short of an M3 for Torque.

I would not be hooking one of these up to a M52B28 if you are looking for long term reliability and I wouldn'y buy a converted car with one in.

Oh really? From what I have looked at and heard from other people is that the getrag 220 is a lot stronger then most others and even a little more then a zf gearbox. What kind of box would u recommend? Cheers :)

Cool thanks for the site!

Oh really? From what I have looked at and heard from other people is that the getrag 220 is a lot stronger then most others and even a little more then a zf gearbox. What kind of box would u recommend? Cheers :)

gearbox choice is pretty marginal really. if you are going to boost the engine then go for something stronger. but BMW didnt cut it that fine with thier gearboxes. Youll be fine with a 220. John aka E30ftw had this gearbox iirc and had no issues, and i ran a 240 found on the back of an M40....

gearbox choice is pretty marginal really. if you are going to boost the engine then go for something stronger. but BMW didnt cut it that fine with thier gearboxes. Youll be fine with a 220. John aka E30ftw had this gearbox iirc and had no issues, and i ran a 240 found on the back of an M40....

ok thats cool. i had ideas for putting a turbo on next year so ill keep that in mind then whether it happens or not. Oh ok thats sweet then i dont think ill be thrashing it that much either (i guess thats what everyone says :P ) Thanks for the info.