Sign in to follow this  
dsa56

E39 TPMS

Guys..

Does any one know how to install an OEM TPMS into an E39. Is it as simple as installing the four sensors and plugging the module in.

<_<

I didnt know it was part of the equipment for e39/x5 etc.. Always thought it was a forced requirement from the US only vehicles from '05 onwards

Got the part numbers ? am geniunely interested for something else im looking at.

I didnt know it was part of the equipment for e39/x5 etc.. Always thought it was a forced requirement from the US only vehicles from '05 onwards

Got the part numbers ? am geniunely interested for something else im looking at.

Hey Josh

I'll come up with the part numbers soon. i've confirmed from Jeff Grey in CHC that this was standered on the e39M5 and on other E39's it was optional.

Does any one know how to install an OEM TPMS into an E39. Is it as simple as installing the four sensors and plugging the module in.

There are two types:

The tyre pressure monitoring system, which has the radio transmitters in the wheel valves, and actually monitors real tyre pressure in PSI. This requires the transmitters to be fitted, the antennas in each wheel well, cabling and a control unit

So you need a tyre shop to fit the valves (don't forget the spare tyre!)

And quite a job to fit the antennas.

The other system is the tyre failure detection system, which uses the ABS impulses and monitors variations in wheel diameter (due to eg flat tyre). It reacts to around 20% less tyre pressure between the wheels, but cannot show the actual pressures in PSI. This is much easier to install, requires no extra sensors, and can be readily fitted to the E39. It is standard fitting on the M5 (which has no spare wheel due to different boot layout and battery placement)

It has an extra switch on the dashboard.

Control units can re readily found on ebay.de

Both have as a prerequisite the High IKE (with the dot-matrix text display at the bottom of the cluster)

I'd go for the tyre defect system, much simpler to install.

Thanks for that jochen.

Im personally after a true TPMS system and my ears pricked up when I hear BME had a stock system.

The Stack motorsport ones are about 3kNZD however support canbus and other aftermarket ones from the US are a lot cheaper however dont appear to have an output.

Ive been looking into maybe putting together myself but haven't had a lot of luck locating components.

<_<

Now it makes sense. it'll all go down to how expensive it's going to be to do the mod.. thanks for every ones help clarifying this.

And josh if you go-ahead with the mod let me know will be interested to know.

Edited by bmw nz