Sign in to follow this  
zeemax

E28 getrag confusion.

Does anyone know if e28 was fitted with different manual gearboxes as standard? I think the one in the car (originally an auto) was from an e34 260 but am guessing. Did the e28 only come out with the split bell housing 265 or at some point were they putting in a non split 260?

Thanks in advance.

they came with a few options , which e28 are you refering to a 535i??

they came with getrag 260 gearboxes , 535i had sensor holes for the motronic crank sensors.

525i and 528i did not have the holes but most had the casting there to excpet the holes ,

early models had the 260 with the sheet metal gearlever mech holder , later ones had the ali arms.

some rare 528i and 535i (from UK mainly) had the getrag 265 sports box with the detachable bellhouing .

some very early 525i 528i had a similer box with a overdrive version of the getrag 265 box.

why are you asking???

Thanks for the reply Brent,

A friend of mine lost gears in his e28 528i. It was originally an auto (going by chassis no). Ive stripped the box to find the selector arm sheared off so was hoping to pull one out of another gearbox he has. This is where its confusing.... both have a 260 part numbers but the input shaft lengths and mounting holes and starter engagement depths are different. He bought the gearbox without knowing that the m20box is different than the m30 box so he is hoping that the selector arm will be the same. Realoem seems to think that it was only the 265 box in the e28 528i. Do you think the internals would be the same?

If they are both 260's the internals should be interchangeable, same as all the 240's. Even the 260 E30 box is the same internals I'm told.

Thanks brent. Both had the steel shifter plate, so i guess i get to strip another gearbox. All good fun!