Sign in to follow this  
dubman

blow by?

Been reading up on this on the internet, but would prefer some more opinions

Recently, my TPS is acting up, and decided to clean the contacts, and discovered it was oily, then i took a look at my intake, and found it was deposited with oil as well. What causes this? is it a leaking seal or does engine oil grade affect this? Also, when i give it a good rev, a cloud of smoke comes out. Recently changed rocker cover gasket, water pump, spark plugs and new vacuum hoses. Coolant's clean, and idles well when the car's warm.

TIA

Oil through the intake occurs naturally to an extent. What colour smoke? Blue = oil, black = fuel (rich), white = steam

it's always run rich, specs of oil gets sput out at the exhaust, but smoke's mostly white and "sooty"

also read right hand turns (i.e the sweeper at HD) causes excess blow by, could be result of trackday?

edit: the oiled TPS worries me the most

Edited by dubman

It is normal Will, comes thru the breather at the front of the rocker cover, can be a sign of worn valve guides, or even rings, allowing some pressure into the rocker cover. The sweeper at Hampton is really hard on the M30 as well, I had to take the rocker breather to a catch can on the race car, the first time at the track with this motor I filled the pistons with oil from the breather, caused predetonation and seized the rings in the grooves of the pistons, stopping the compression. Put out an impressive smoke screen for half a lap tho.

Wouldn't be too concerned If I was you, you can take the breather to a catch can and block the hole where it connects to the intake If you want, removes the oil problem.

I think the breather goes back into the intake as an emissions thing, allows it to burn the unburnt fumes from the engine.