Sign in to follow this  
kiwijunglist

Tyres: T1 Sport vs V12 Evo vs FK452 vs NS2

Hi having trouble picking 4x tyres for my RWD '06 Skyline 350GT so would like others opinions

These are the best prices I can get in chch including alignment

225 40 19 Fronts / 245 40 19 Rears

Toyo T1 Sport - $1400 @ Scobie's Tyres / Tyres2Go

Hankook V12 Evo - $1400 @ Tyres2Go

Falken FK452 - $1280 @ Scobie's Tyres

Nanking NS2 - $1100 @ Tyres2Go

These are for street only useage. The factory OEM RE050A had very loud road noise and now are all bald (They lasted well, ~28,000km I think). Tony's were more expensive but I havn't tried their price match yet.

Thanks

Mike

If it helps, I'm guessing you are in CHCH here, avoid Scobies like a plague. I'm also assuming Scobies is the new trading name of Ian Scobies Tyres (on Wairakei Road).

I had a puncture repaired by them, they charged me for the puncture, I drove home, realised the tyre had gone flat again and realised the puncture wasn't in the tyre it was a cracked rim. I took it too them to get advice on having the rim repaired so the puncture could be fixed.

I then purchased a set of 17" rims to replace the 19"s. The person I bought them off had arranged for the centre bore to be machined. Three of the rims were not machined correctly, so Scobies offered to send them to a machine shop they use. The rims came back, they mounted the tyres and put the rims on the car. Driving home the car felt like the wheels hadn't been balanced correctly. Got the car home, and looked at the wheels. One rim had not been properly machined.

The wheel had been mounted on an angle. I could put a finger between the wheel and the hub on oneside of the hub.

I then went to get the 19" cracked rim repaired. Found that the tyre was unable to be remounted to the rim because it had been driven while the tyre was flat. Went back to Ian Scobies. Advised them of both problems. Their response was to deny any liability in relation to either the "puncture repair" or the incorrect mounting of the rim.

They might give you a good price on the tyres but I wouldn't trust them to work on anything going on my car again.

If the 050's factory fitted they would have well and truly gone off which would explain the road noise as they are not really a noisy tyre.

225/ 245 is not exactly big for the car so going down market on tyres sounds like a bad move

I found road noise high after first 10,000km. Yup they are pretty much bald now and car is garaged until i get tyres :)

If it helps, I'm guessing you are in CHCH here, avoid Scobies like a plague. I'm also assuming Scobies is the new trading name of Ian Scobies Tyres (on Wairakei Road).

Yes I'm in christchurch, hopefully Tony's will price match. Thanks for the information.

Yes I'm in christchurch, hopefully Tony's will price match. Thanks for the information.

tony's will only price match if you go to them with a printed quote from the cheaper shop....as if the cheaper shop is going to give you a printed quote....save your time and hassle and just buy from the cheaper shop

time and time again i find tony's NOT the cheapest and its best to ring around

But does Tony's give better service and stand behind their work , give good advice etc.

I would rather pay an extra $20 to $30 a tyre and know that the tyres are being fitted by some one competent and they will put all the wheels back on properly at the correct pressures and with all the nuts tightened correctly.

your tony's sounds good, my local one is very pushy and everything is a add on cost

i purchased a set of re001 about a couple of years ago and were very pushy with the sale trying to add on wheel alignment, tyre disposal cost, new tyre valves. I even had to push them to waive the fitting and balancing cost when all other places were built into the price they quoted

overall i would rate their service as poor

Which model?

Pp2 or ps3 ... New price lists are out as of this Monday.

Tire Tech on the shore for me .. Justin knows his stuff and so do his staff. Always sharp on price with a no bullshit attitude and will set your car up for what you need it for (road driving, different types of racing etc)

Highly recommended.