Sign in to follow this  
schwarz88

steering wheel replacement

ok, so i scored a deal on a momo wheel to replace the original one in my 325i, i bought a boss kit (sportline momo compatible).

but, since i'm a fool, i cannot sort the wiring out, there's only one wire fitted to the boss kit, the momo horn assembly has two connectors - one already fitted with a wire one without and i'm pretty sure i've worked out that my problem is that i've not grounded the connection cos the horn sounds as soon as the ignition is on.

but i can't see an obvious route to take a ground wire to the ground point beneath the steering column - or do i not ground it there??

so for the time being i've just taken out the fuse so i can steer but not honk.

take pity on a fool.

I haven't fiddled with a BMW horn/wheel, but the other types I have, when you PRESS the horn, it, as you say, 'grounds out', completing the circut to the horn.

So - I think you have earthed out the circut somewhere, completing the circut full time, hence full time horn :)

Check your wiring and look at what happens when you press the horn, does just pressing the horn complete the circut?

Yes, rig up a piece of wire and crimp a connector for the horn button on one end and earth the other end under the big nut. Remember to turn on the key to and test it first.