Sign in to follow this  
varun1794

m20b20 stroker

hey guys

im a bit confused so here are a few questions

1. i have a m20b20 facelift and im wondering what would be cheaper

b25 swap? im having trouble sourcing an engine

2. putting my b20 head on a eta bottom end? i hav been quoted 400 for a bottom end.

is it actually just as simple as bolting your head on or do the rods need to be changed?

will the stroker cost more in labour then the b25 swap as im not doin the work myself.

3. how reliable is a stroker?

Ive had both, and own a stroker now.

B20 Head will bolt straight onto ETA Block, but you will want to do other things while you are there.

My old M20B25 rev'd a lot faster but didnt feel much under 4000 revs, now my M20B27 you can feel lots more pull from 2500-3000 but doesnt rev as much.

I like the power down low compared to a B25.

But you wont build my M20B27 for the same price as buying a M20B25.

is this andrew by any chance?

if so its ur old e30 im talkin about that i bought of you, the one that used 2 hav a b25

so how much would a stroker actully cost and what all will i want 2 do while its out

it can be as expensive as you want it,

when its out you MUST DO:

water pump,

cambelt

front and rear crank seals

headgasket

You could do:

cam seals,

frost plugs

new clutch

spark plugs

new valve seals

The list goes wayyyy on.

My 2.8 cost me about 3k by the time I was done with it. Everything in it is brand new though. Haven't had it tuned yet, but goes a whole lot better.

well i had cambelt n seals n stuff dne bout 15K ago at the start of the yr on my b20 so basically can i just slap the head on with a new headgastket? n ill try get hold of b25 intake tb afm etc

hey guys

im a bit confused so here are a few questions

1. i have a m20b20 facelift and im wondering what would be cheaper

b25 swap? im having trouble sourcing an engine

2. putting my b20 head on a eta bottom end? i hav been quoted 400 for a bottom end.

is it actually just as simple as bolting your head on or do the rods need to be changed?

will the stroker cost more in labour then the b25 swap as im not doin the work myself.

3. how reliable is a stroker?

1.maybe tell us what your budget is?, that will be a decider on what you will be doing

2.eta bottom ends are getting a bit old now and you could be up for a bottom end rebuild firstly

3. reliability depends on the quality of the assembly and parts used and depending on your budget,

1.maybe tell us what your budget is?, that will be a decider on what you will be doing

2.eta bottom ends are getting a bit old now and you could be up for a bottom end rebuild firstly

3. reliability depends on the quality of the assembly and parts used and depending on your budget,

well to start of its about just over 1000 to put a b25 in so i wouldnt want to go too much over that, iv never seen this bottom end be4 so im nt sure of the condition but due to pastr bad experieces i wouldnt mind a bottom end rebuild, then again i dont know of the cost involved in that.

im not realy lookin at big power cuz even just the simplest stroker is a pretty big step up from a b20 but it MUST be relaibe cuz its my daily driver.

if i get the bottom end for 400 wud i be able 2 get a bottom end rebuild and then get everything put in for 1500?

You might aswell drop an m20b25 in it.

I have a 320i and recently purchased a 325i, there is a definate change in power between the two and for your budget it really would be more appropriate,

I have a chipped ecu which also makes it a lil bit more fun, you can pick them up for like 50 bucks from ebay.

I wouldnt bother stroking unless you were stroking a 2.5 to a 2.7 as it just becomes too costly. A straight swap would be cheaper and easier, just make sure you get the afm and ecu with the engine which hopefully has a fair amount of ks on it relevant to age of course.

Good luck with whatever decission it is you make :)

JC

if i get the bottom end for 400 wud i be able 2 get a bottom end rebuild and then get everything put in for 1500?

parts and labour for $1500, simple answer no,

edit; buy a complete m20b23 or m20b25

Edited by Jono51

You might aswell drop an m20b25 in it.

I have a 320i and recently purchased a 325i, there is a definate change in power between the two and for your budget it really would be more appropriate,

I have a chipped ecu which also makes it a lil bit more fun, you can pick them up for like 50 bucks from ebay.

I wouldnt bother stroking unless you were stroking a 2.5 to a 2.7 as it just becomes too costly. A straight swap would be cheaper and easier, just make sure you get the afm and ecu with the engine which hopefully has a fair amount of ks on it relevant to age of course.

Good luck with whatever decission it is you make :)

JC

sweet thanks alot for the help man ill just try source a good price m20b25