Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Audio buffs?

Howdy all, I've got a THIS Samsung home theatre system - our lounge is being totally redone and we've are wanting to use our old Wharfedale Speakers as they have nice wall mounts as the factory Samsung unit's are flush mounted and look rather squarish on the wall. The current speakers are 3ohm and the Wharfedale ones are 4ohm - is this ok?

Posted Image

It's part of this package above - they are rather old but IMO they were better on my old shitty Panasonic DVD home theatre which worked 12 months of the 5 years we had it! The reason I went Samsung with the system is that it ties in nice with the Samsung TV's with Anynet e.t.c e.t.c. over HDMI ethernet.

We've been given a Samsung UA-60D6600 which is a very nice unit - I've purchased THIS bracket which if my maths serves me ok it will make the TV sit out 45mm from the wall!!!!!!! (on the bracket)

Concure with 3pedals , With most amps is safe to go up in speaker ohms rating.

Have done similar with my PC music system based on an a yamaha DVD ht unit. Running 8ohm speaker where the factories where 6ohm. The 8ohm speakers where more effiectent drives so the sound output is about the same.

Are you ex Wellington BTW , We may have meet if you dropped off a panasonic dvd in a x5 3.0d a few years back.

After all this pissing around and a visit to Strawberry Sound in Dunedin, I've decided to ditch the Samsung home theatre system, purchase a Samsung 3D Blu-Ray system and hook it up to a component system installed from them, sub woofer will be installed and bolted to a joist in the roof, and flush mounted speakers 5.1 system which means the grilles of the speakers will be colour coded to the walls inside the walls. The amp will be iPhone/iPod capable and able to play songs wirelessly from the iPhone over the wifi - great for sitting on the deck with a 24 pack of double brown and changing the songs from the phone!

24 pack of double brown

:o<_<

Hahaha - I was adding zest to the post - it's more likely to be a 15 pack of Heineken and an angry wife saying that I have work tomorrow.

Now we're talking , wack in a music server with lossless audio content and you'll never go back (or lossess format on iphone otherwise music will sound very average)

Now we're talking , wack in a music server with lossless audio content and you'll never go back (or lossess format on iphone otherwise music will sound very average)

When I mentioned I had the 60" LED which is going to be some 40mm from the wall in a brand new lounge he said it would quote "like delivering mulch in a Maybach" - come in and see us and test drive not expensive stuff just good stuff, I did that and I was converted. The thing is, you can spend 2k on Samsung home theatre systems but 2.5k spent there on lower end (to them) quality systems will make a massive difference, the guy was totally correct. It actually opens up a different word and is like going from to a late model Euro from a 1994 Caldina - the reason I say that is because I had one yesterday as a loan car from the dealership (holden was getting stuff done) - it was awful!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Why on earth would you want to hang the sub woofer from the roof joists?

A sub needs to sit on the floor so the low frequencies can vibrate through the floorboards and give you a real sense of bass.