Sign in to follow this  
android

oil leak

hi guy/and girls, have a slight oil leak on my e36 2.8 anybody got any good ideas of who to see on the shore for a poss repair , many thanks

you might want to source where the oil is coming from first. Something as simple as an oil leak will probably cost a fair bit to repair as it is probably a gasket.

have a look to see if the oil leak starts from the oil pan gasket.

you might want to source where the oil is coming from first. Something as simple as an oil leak will probably cost a fair bit to repair as it is probably a gasket.

have a look to see if the oil leak starts from the oil pan gasket.

Hi Matt iv looked and its really hard to decide the exact place but the il pan gasket seem sort a poss, would that be a bad job to do ? thanks Andy

an oil pan gasket is a simple job but will take some time, which is why it could cost a bit if you got a mechanic to do it. To be honest I have never owned a e36 so don't know how hard it is to get to the oil pan.

to change the gasket you need to drain the oil, remove the 3 million bolts take old gasket off, replace and bolt back on.

the hard bit is getting the oil pan out of the way. Other thing like tie rod, front axle support might need to be moved.

oil starts from the top and runs down .

so would sugest start at the rocker cover , oil filter housing and o rings around cam sensor .

if its the sump gasket then it will take a while to do.

i have new gaskets if needed

oil starts from the top and runs down .

so would sugest start at the rocker cover , oil filter housing and o rings around cam sensor .

if its the sump gasket then it will take a while to do.

i have new gaskets if needed

thanks for advice brent, il be looking soon

Hi Matt iv looked and its really hard to decide the exact place but the il pan gasket seem sort a poss, would that be a bad job to do ? thanks Andy

no geussing

firstly, degrease the engine untill it is immaculately clean, then run it and look for the leak

easy

no geussing

firstly, degrease the engine untill it is immaculately clean, then run it and look for the leak

easy

thanks to all for the advice seems its a slight leak from a cam cover, i can sort that