Sign in to follow this  
david.skinner

03 330i E46 Sequential Manual Transmission Help

My first BMr and I'm enjoying it very much. However, I'm finding the SMG to be quite slow to change gears and wondered if there are ways to speed up the gear change? Also getting a bit of clutch bite in reverse when the car is cold.

Yes .. but its not for the faint hearted (high risk proceedure).. and requires a EGS reflash

Yes .. but its not for the faint hearted (high risk proceedure).. and requires a EGS reflash

Would you be able to give me an outline of the proceedure? I'm not sure what an EGS is but the reflash sounds a bit firmware like. I am an electrical engineer by trade so maybe ;)

The first thing you should try is having the SMG adaption procedures done. PM M3_Power (tom) for this.

This is a standard dealer servcing proceedure for GDSMG2 equipped e46's

Flashing the car with new (M3 CSL) shift programs takes stable battery voltage 13-14volts (you can't just use a normal battery charger here) it needs to be a constant source. If the voltage drops the communication through the DBUS pins interupts programming and you end up with a dead (bricked) gearbox computer .. hence high risk.

Specailist BMW software is needed (and connection equipment)

I can do it, but I wont as I wont take the risk on someone elses car.

Josh, Just to let you know that resetting the SMG adaption has made a large difference and the gearbox is now sufficiently responsive during changes that i don't need to take the issue further.

Many thanks for your advice.

D.

The first thing you should try is having the SMG adaption procedures done. PM M3_Power (tom) for this.

This is a standard dealer servcing proceedure for GDSMG2 equipped e46's

Flashing the car with new (M3 CSL) shift programs takes stable battery voltage 13-14volts (you can't just use a normal battery charger here) it needs to be a constant source. If the voltage drops the communication through the DBUS pins interupts programming and you end up with a dead (bricked) gearbox computer .. hence high risk.

Specailist BMW software is needed (and connection equipment)

I can do it, but I wont as I wont take the risk on someone elses car.

My first BMr and I'm enjoying it very much. However, I'm finding the SMG to be quite slow to change gears and wondered if there are ways to speed up the gear change? Also getting a bit of clutch bite in reverse when the car is cold.

Use sport mode to speed up the change. :)

Yes, the clutch do bite funny when cold. (It's a manual gearbox with automated clutch afterall)

You are the second person I know with a non-M3 SMG in the car. Welcome! Is yours 5 speed or 6 speed?