Sign in to follow this  
Sargasm

328i Noise coming from left rear wheel

Thought I'd try my luck here before going to a mechanic to tell him "my car is making funny noises, can you fix it?".

So, symptoms are:

-A scraping/almost squealing noise coming from left rear side of the car

-Only makes the noise up to around 80kmph

-The noise seems to get better after driving at 100kmph for several km's then slowing back down to 50kmph, but the noise is definitely still there..

-Doesn't make the noise at all in reverse regardless of speed

-Only makes the noise under drive and takes a few seconds to go away when I disengage the clutch

-Turning/bumps/road gradient doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference

-Doesn't make the noise when drive wheels are suspended nor when the wheel is spun by hand

I originally thought it could be something rubbing but we've had the wheel and break calliper off and couldn't see any noticeable wear marks under the wheel well or suspension components on that side.

I've had my flatmate who is a mechanic (albeit an apprentice for a Japanese dealership) take a look at it and he can't seem to see what's wrong either.

ANY suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone could recommend a reasonable mechanic in Wellington, that would be good too.

Cheers Guys!

Have you had the disc rotor off and checked the handbrake shoe mechanism and retainers for the handbrake shoes ?? I've also had the brake material come off the shoes before as well.