Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Apple mac forum

Have found a few, the one run by apple itself is good for trouble shooting etc, but obviosuly edit posts that condone non-apple products. Anyone know of a good one? Have a specific question to ask, but the forums ive asked might have low traffic as no responces. Cheers

Have found a few, the one run by apple itself is good for trouble shooting etc, but obviosuly edit posts that condone non-apple products. Anyone know of a good one? Have a specific question to ask, but the forums ive asked might have low traffic as no responces. Cheers

Ask here. See if I can help (or others)

Okay copy paste, here goes:

Ok so i face this problem. I have an iMac 21" downstairs in the living room which is the latest model. It currently has snow leopard but i am going to upgrade to lion soon when i get round to it. However when the people i live with use the tv or have friends over and i want to work on the computer, i have to unplug etc and move it to my room and re-set it up. I have a mac mini in my bedroom already with a g5 processor so i cant upgrade that to lion and use screen share. It would also be good to be able to watch the movies that are on my imac in the bedroom as well, instead of having to put tem on a thumbdrive and thn plugging them into te mini.

I would rather not have to by a new mac mini so that i can use screen share, the cost benifit is not worth it. Is there some other way to do what i want to do? Can i use the iMac as a server type setup and the mac mini or ipad1 be used as a client over my wifi network? Am using an apple airport express router, also brand new with my imac

Can you not just 'browse' to the files you wish to use/access on the iMac from the Mac Mini.....

The iMac / Mac Mini should be visible from each other in the finder.

This is how I share video's / music / recorded TV between my Win7 PC & MacBook, works really well.

Bit different if there are OS specific software you need to use on one or the other.

In which case can you not use something like Apples Remote Desktop?

Can you not just 'browse' to the files you wish to use/access on the iMac from the Mac Mini.....

The iMac / Mac Mini should be visible from each other in the finder.

This is how I share video's / music / recorded TV between my Win7 PC & MacBook, works really well.

Bit different if there are OS specific software you need to use on one or the other.

In which case can you not use something like Apples Remote Desktop?

Isnt remote desktop only on 10.7? I can file share, but my applications are on my iMac and i cant download them to the mii because they dont run on the g5 processor. However if i can run them on the iMac, and have a screen and keyboard etc upstairs is the goal.

Isnt remote desktop only on 10.7? I can file share, but my applications are on my iMac and i cant download them to the mii because they dont run on the g5 processor. However if i can run them on the iMac, and have a screen and keyboard etc upstairs is the goal.

Remote desktop is supported is 10.5 onward - which is still supported on the PowerPC G5. Another option is to look into Plex and the entire system they have from a single machine out to iPads, Macs, Windows etc etc on the fly from one video file.

http://www.plexapp.com/

BTW, it is called Screen Sharing on 10.5/6/7...

If you share the folder with your movies etc on the iMac, then you can log onto the folder from your Mac Mini and watch away.

Screen sharing is another thing, but what you the folks said above holds true.

If you share the folder with your movies etc on the iMac, then you can log onto the folder from your Mac Mini and watch away.

Screen sharing is another thing, but what you the folks said above holds true.

The only thing is the Mac Mini might have trouble with h264 videos and the like - CPU is too slow. If you use Plex, then the iMac will downsample the vids on the fly to a stream which the Mini can play.

Good option...

Ill have a look into screen sharing tonight. What better way to spend my evening lol. Have been meaning to get all the macs in this house intergrated together, and they are all running either 10.5 or 10.6 on g5 and intel. As long as i get mine done ill get the others done later.

I wasnt aware it was available earlier than lion, so i hope it works!

managed to get screen sharing sorted, thanks heaps for that tip! it appears the only two downsides is that for one the sound doesnt come through upstairs, just the picture. and the other is that whatever i tell the computer to do upstairs comes up on the screen down here. doesnt seem like i can turn the screen off down here. might just have to use a stealthy towel or something so as not to annoy down here... but hey its a free fix, so its a good start!!