Sign in to follow this  
fizzychicken

318ti new infinity speakers

Hi all

My 318ti still has the factory speakers and they have started to flap a bit so I've decided to invest in an upgrade.

My workload at the moment is pretty insane plus I'd probably be useless at doing it myself so I'm looking for recommendations of where to go to get a good job done at a reasonable price.

So far I've had one quote from Carline in Auckland to replace the front 5.25's with Infinity speakers and the rears with 4" coax infinitys. supplying the speakers and labour comes to roughly $500.

Is this a good price? can anyone recommend where I could go in the Auckland region for a good quote?

Thanks all

Back in the day, a lot of my friends swore by using Paul Money car audio. Might pay to give them a bell.

Unfortunately Paul Money's has stopped selling car audio - I went to a closing sale a couple of months ago and snagged the last pair of Infinity 5.25's. I think you should be able to find a pair at either Parallel Imported or here:

http://onlinecaraudio.co.nz/Car_Audio_Speakers_5_quot_13cm_

As a reference I got a pair of 5.25 Kappa 52.9l coaxial's for $160. I fitted them myself - it't pretty easy to do.

I ended up deciding to do this myself. Paul Money in Mount eden do still have some speakers left so I got a set of infinity 4" for a good price, their Albany store has more and can order new ones in.

I picked up a new set of 5.25" infinity's for the kick panel off trademe at a very good price....these were incredibly easy to fit and sound good. the mid ranges in the doors seem ok but If Im feeling generous after new year I might replace these too.

The infinitys have the centre extended motor in the centre which means they have an issue of clearance, in the kick panels the gap is more than enough. The rear is an issue as most people have found, the stupid nokia oval cone bracket for the factory 4T speakers doesnt work well with replacements so I have made a template out of two layers of ply bonded together with a foam surround, I will upload some photos of this soon, it turned out to be a cheap way to mount the speakers in the same location as the factory ones.

Got there in the end, all speakers in and it sounds awesome! quite glad I did it myself.

Made some templates from the shape of the original factory nokia bracket/cone thingy outs of multi layered ply, with two templates bonded with araldite where the speakers are screwed in from underneath. everything (eventually) fitted neatly.

uploaded some photos part way through the process here

My Flickr set for my 318ti