Sign in to follow this  
Jeff_G

How to confirm Motorsport models? (E46)

Hi,

I'm in the market for another Motorsport E46 but want to know the best way to confirm Motorsport genuineness quickly. (I'm not really skilled to identify Motorsport suspension!)

As the obvious signs (wheels, badges, interior trim) are fairly interchangeable are there more reliable things to looks for?

- Were the 'sport' seats (either in leather or Alcantara) put in non Motorsport models?

- Do rear clear indicator tail-lights with orange lamps confirm Motorsport?

- Do any of the vehicle numbers prove authenticity?

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Guess it all really depends on the options the person wanted in the car. There are many msport options that could have been put in or not. for example the following is a build list from my car that has many msport options but not all of them i would guess.

Prod date 2001-01-18

Order options

No Description

226 SPORTS SUSPENSION SETTINGS

255 SPORTS LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

337 M SPORTS PACKAGE

481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER

715 M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE

788 M LT/ALY WHEELS

Edited by M-Spec

Hi Jeff,

The most obvious difference between a M-spec and a non M-spec car would be the body kit. - The M-spec cars have sportier front and rear bumpers.

If you're looking at a 4 door (sedan), then the M Spec models with have firmer suspension, but if you're looking at a 2-door, they're all the same for an E46.

The interior (seats / door cards) are different, typically, M-spec models have half cloth / leather seats. But there are also sports leather / alcantara seats available. - You can identify these by the bigger side bolsters on the front seats.

Also, if you open the door, there should be a large plastic strip with ///M written on it.

A factory M-spec model should have all of the above.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Jeff,

The most obvious difference between a M-spec and a non M-spec car would be the body kit. - The M-spec cars have sportier front and rear bumpers.

If you're looking at a 4 door (sedan), then the M Spec models with have firmer suspension, but if you're looking at a 2-door, they're all the same for an E46.

The interior (seats / door cards) are different, typically, M-spec models have half cloth / leather seats. But there are also sports leather / alcantara seats available. - You can identify these by the bigger side bolsters on the front seats.

Also, if you open the door, there should be a large plastic strip with ///M written on it.

A factory M-spec model should have all of the above.

Cheers,

Andrew

Ahhh , but mine does not have the ///m on the door strip neither does mine have 1/2 cloth or leather seats but are classed as sports seats.

I don't really think there is a list of if it has all this then its a msport , I consider mine a msport.

I went through the same process.

Biggest tell tale I could find was the window trim. Genuine M-Sport ones all have (as far as I found) the shadow chrome, while the non-Msport ones have the normal chrome

Just another one to put on the list!